Chapter 19

"Honey, I ran into Sheryl's sister's niece at the luncheon yesterday, and realized you'd be perfect for each other!" My mom's excitement streams loudly through the speakerphone on my desk

"Honey, I ran into Sheryl's sister's niece at the luncheon yesterday, and realized you'd be perfect for each other!" My mom's excitement streams loudly through the speakerphone on my desk. "She said she-"

"Mom." I quickly interrupt. "We've been over this. Just because a woman looks to be my age and does things like luncheons doesn't mean we're perfect for each other." I lean back in my desk chair and glance at my watch. While I always try to call my mom on Sundays, it slipped my mind yesterday. Instead, I spent the whole weekend trying to process the life-changing event that's kissing Talia.

"I know sweetie, but I'm not getting any younger! I did the math and if you start dating now, then you can get married in a year. Then get straight to business, and then give me a grandchild nine months later. It's math. You like math, right?"

I laugh and shake my head at the phone as if Mom can see me. "Nice try!"

Should I say anything to her about Talia? I abandon the thought as quickly as it comes. This situation needs to be treated as delicately as possible. While my weekend of deep thought only pushed me toward one clear path forward, telling my mom would only push her to meddle as if I'm a teenager who can't find a date to prom. And I never did have trouble finding dates. "Listen, Mom, I need to go. I'm at work."

"Okay, hun. I'll see you at the party?"

"See you then, bye!" I close my eyes briefly after hitting the red circle. The pre-scheduled meeting with Talia is in an hour, and my stomach is already in knots as I think about being face-to-face with her again.

It's time to run through a SWOT analysis of the situation for the hundredth time. With any strategic thinking, it's best to review the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats, which is exactly what I spent my weekend doing.

Strengths: Talia is attracted to me. She likes kissing me. And she likes my company even though she'd never admit it.

Weaknesses: She hates me. She may have a voodoo doll of me that she sticks pins in every night. She is still so unendingly sure that I tried to sabotage her internship interview all those years ago, and has never gotten over it.

Opportunities: Talia has to spend time with me. She has no choice but to get to know me more. And I have three more months to spend as much time with her as I possibly can.

Threats: She'd likely punch me if I try to kiss her again. We're competing for the same job and if either of us lost, it'd chop the last thread of our relationship.

I sigh heavily. I can't deny it anymore. At first, the thought of having feelings for Talia scared me shitless. I spent that night of the performance tossing and turning in bed thinking about it. But then, somewhere in between jacking off to thoughts of her in that black tight bodysuit and picturing us as a real-life couple, doing real-life coupley things, it hit me. I don't have unnamed feelings for Talia. No, I'm madly, cartoon heart pumping out of chest, falling for her.