Chapter 18

Harvard, Around 15 Years Ago

"Have you seen my packet?" I ask as I frantically search under the piles of clothes in Gary's room.

"Babe, I'm trying to sleep. Can't it wait?" Gary replies sleepily and places a pillow on top of his head.

"No, seriously Gary. Where is it? I need it for my interview today."

"How the hell should I know?" He rubs his eyes as he sits up in bed.

I frown, scanning the room. I shouldn't have stayed with Gary last night. I should've gone to bed early, in my bed, like I was planning. One drink turned to two, then three, then four. Before I knew it, I was waking up half-naked in Gary's bed with a pounding headache and barely any time to get ready.

Gary sighs and stands up, now deciding to help look around the room on various surfaces. "What's the packet?"

"The one I showed you last night! It's my pre-interview assignment they asked me to do!"

"Do you need it?"

I make a face before leaving to check the living room. "Of course I need it! They'll be asking me about it during the interview and it's a way for them to see my skills."

"Here it is, babe," Gary calls out from the bedroom. I run back. The tension in my shoulders instantly releases as soon as I see the packet in his hand. "It was on the floor next to my side."

"Oh thank God!" I grab it and swiftly tuck it into my black leather tote. I spent days doing the assignment. This internship is one of the biggest opportunities anyone at school could ever get. An associate analyst position at one of the most prestigious firms would look dazzling on my resume. If I got the job, it would catapult my career after graduation.

While Gary applied with me, he didn't make it past the first round - a fact that appears to bother him. While it does dampen my excitement for the job, I try not to dwell on it too much. My dad and brothers are ecstatic and that feels good at least.

"I'll make you breakfast while you get ready," Gary says, making his way to the kitchen.

"Oh thank you!" My empty stomach churns and it only amplifies the nerves that are running through me. I hope Gary makes something hearty as it'd likely be a while before I could eat again. I heard waiting for interviews like this one always lasts a few hours minimum. I quickly make my way to my overnight bag and begin getting ready for the interview.

"Your food is on the counter," Gary calls out from the kitchen.

I put on my skirt, blouse, and heels before striding back to the kitchen, reciting the packet's contents in my head. A piece of toast with butter on it is presented to me on a plate on the countertop. "That's it?" I ask as I put on my rose gold studded earrings. "Gary, I'm going to need more than that."

The MergerOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara