1 ~ 𝑮𝒂𝒃𝒓𝒊𝒆𝒍𝒍𝒂-𝑵𝒂𝒊𝒍𝒆𝒂

𝑮𝒂𝒃𝒓𝒊𝒆𝒍𝒍𝒂-𝑵𝒂𝒊𝒍𝒆𝒂 (18)

Present day

Headphones. /ˈhedˌfoʊnz/

plural noun.

a device with parts that cover each ear through which you can listen to something, such as music, without other people hearing.

Weird things headphones are. Somehow when your wearing headphones, everyone feels the need to avoid any possible social interaction with you. Not that I'm complaining.

I honestly can not remember the last time I had a normal face-to-face interaction with anyone my age. The only people who really talk to me are my teachers, and even they steer clear of me most of the time.

My headphones are noise-cancelling, which is perfect for me. I've always hated loud noises, they make me really anxious. I hardly remember my childhood, all I know is that it was very loud and my dad used to shout a lot. The headphones help block out some of the noise when needed.

I wear my headphones all the time, well at least in public. I don't think I've even stepped foot outside without them. I rarely even listen to music through them, I just like the comfort of wearing them. People just assume I'm busy or can't hear them and no one speaks to me. Ever. Just how I like it.

Even my dad doesn't speak to me. Or look at me. Or even acknowledge my existence.

It's kind of lonely. It's been me and him for as long as I can remember and he's usually too drunk to even function.

So let me rephrase that.

It's been me, myself and I for as long as I can remember.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I can't move. All I can see is darkness. I can faintly hear a high-pitched women shrieking at the top of her lungs.

"AHHHHHHHHHH!"

"STOP IT!!"

"THINK OF GABRIELLA!"

"DON'T DO THIS!"

My eyes opened and welcomed the brightness. I ran out of my bedroom to hear where the commotion was coming from. I scurried into the kitchen and saw...

Beep. Beep. Beep.

I groan at the sound of my alarm. It interrupted my dream, again!

I've had that same continuous dream for years and years. It's so creepy and I've been trying to figure out who that women was for the longest time. Sometimes I switch my alarm off and try to delay my sleep as long as possible but I still can't seem to extend my dream. It just ends with me running into my kitchen. It's all jumbled up, like a puzzle waiting to be solved.

I turned my alarm off and slowly dragged myself out of bed.

My room is fairly big with a closet, bathroom and it even has a balcony. I've always wanted to decorate my room more, but I would need money for that.

My dad got fired around 2 years ago and didn't manage to get a job after that, so I've been working instead. I work at a bar in the middle of the city. They hired me when I was 16, which probably wasn't legal but I doubt they cared. I've worked there everyday after 4:30 for 2 whole years just to pay off the bills and buy basic necessities.