14 ~ 𝑨𝒊𝒅𝒆𝒏

𝑨𝒊𝒅𝒆𝒏

Wednesday

TW: PARENTS ARGUING / FAMILY PROBLEMS

"WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN? YOU LEFT ME HERE ALONE AND ASH HAS BEEN CRYING ALL NIGHT!"

"IN CASE YOU FORGOT, I HAVE A JOB! I'M THE PERSON WHO ACTUALLY PAYS FOR THE ROOF OVER YOUR HEAD!"

Grumbling into my mattress, I pulled my pillow over my head in a lame attempt to block out the excessive yelling of my parents arguing, yet again. Tired and frustrated, I pushed myself off of my cosy, tempting bed, readying myself to get ready for college, but immediately froze at the painful sound of little sobs. 

Ashton.

As fast as lightning, I scurried out of my bedroom door and practically threw myself through the hallway, reaching closer and closer to Ash's small sniffles and wails.

"WE DON'T NEED YOU! ME AND MY SONS WOULD BE BETTER IF YOU WERE NEVER EVEN HERE. YOU'RE A USELESS FATHER!"

The more my parents screeched at each other, the louder Ash's weeps became.

As a child, my parents were constantly arguing or doing weird things to purposefully hurt each other, when in reality, the only person who actually ended up hurt by their actions was me. It has always been difficult living with my parents and their love/hate relationship but I had grown used to my mother cheating on my father, or my father coming home late from work just to piss my mother off, or them both arguing and making me pick between them. 

However, just because I was familiar with their horrible relationship, I would be damned if my little brother was dragged into their problems too. I would never let my innocent, 5 year old brother grow accustomed to his parents screaming at each other everyday. I always tried my hardest to protect Ash from those situations, it was my job as his older brother. I could be a better mother and father to him than our real parents could ever be.

Panicking, I reached Ashton in the living room and saw him standing behind my mother crying. He was gripping the back of her dress, peeking his head out from around her body in fear. 

"How could you say that? ALL YOU EVER DO IS CRUMBLE THESE BOYS AND I'M ALWAYS THE ONE WHO ENDS UP PICKING UP THE PIECES! I AM NOT A USELESS FATHER!" My dad blared harshly.

"NO! YOU ARE NOTHING MORE THAN A SPERM DONOR FOR THEM!" My mother responded with fury. My dad stood in shock, completely undeserving of my mother's unnecessary comment. Ashton's cries became hysterical.

"Mom! Dad! Shut up! Can you not see your 5 year old son crying? You guys are both as bad as each other, you should seriously be ashamed of yourselves!" I reprimanded them both. I felt like I was parenting them rather than the other way around.

Gently, I picked up Ashton and rocked him in my arms. My parents looked towards us in shame. I ignored them and carried Ash to his bedroom.

"Hey bud. You okay?" I asked him in a soft voice.

He shook his head and pressed his face into my chest, the tears continuing to fall down his face.

"Did they scare you again?"

Ash nodded and held me tighter. Gently, I cradled his delicate figure and rocked him until he visibly started to relax.

After a few minutes, Ash had calmed down and I started to get him cleaned and changed for kindergarten. I made sure to shower him carefully and I didn't forget to medicate his skin. I got Ash changed before I got hurriedly myself ready. Once I was done, I made Ash breakfast, being careful about following his very specific diet.