Chapter 12

"This father-daughter duo are the same. Not been here for a day but look at the condition of the room...."

Nandhini was grumbling in frustration when she heard a knock at the door.

She was surprised to find Niranjan and Dhru but the anxious look on their faces put her on edge.

"Bhaiya....Bhaiyu....Why are you both standing there? Won't you come inside?"

Though she tried to act normal, Nandhini was apprehensive from within.

Whatever she had learned from Bhabhi Ma has given her enough courage still somewhere a fear lingered.

Nandhini is not afraid of her brothers but on how to move on from their painful past. Learning the guilt- ridden life they have led has only increased her agitation.

She once felt badly let down by them but with time she understood their positions.

Everything was against her favor that day still they had asked her to give them time but it was she who fled under duress.

It took her several years to realize her mistake but by the time everything had already slipped out from their hands.

If Niranjan and Dhru regrets their inaction then Nandhini is repentant over her actions.

"Nandhini...." Niranjan called out to her in a heavy voice

Nandhini looked over and was appalled.

She rushed and held his hand before he could join them in apology.

" What are you doing , Bhaiya? Paap chadana hai kya? You are elder to us. Your hand should be raised to give blessings or to give us a tight slap, not to apologize"

" Elder or not, when someone makes a mistake, it is pertinent that he should apologize "

"Forg..ive us, Nandhini"

Nandhini looked at Niranjan sadly. There was a time when there was no question of hesitation in their relationship.  He used to pamper her more than Ansh and may be that is why she was hurt more by his silence that those brutal words.

Dhru was not even able to look into her eyes. Those eyes which once held immense faith in him.

There was a poignant silence as they stared at each other with diverse feelings......hurt....guilt...regret....

"Why didn't you trust me?"

The question was out before she could think it through. The one which plagued Nandhini for 5 long years.

Niranjan and Dhru was taken aback by Nandhini's question but more by the pain in them.

What could they answer her?

They could give her multitude of explanations and reasons but would it ever justify their mistrust in her, the one they claimed to love unconditionally like a sister.....

The truth was at that moment, they kept their blood above all. Everything paled in comparison to him.

Nandhini saw the varied emotions on their face.To be honest, she couldnt even find it in herself to blame them .

If given a choice between their brother and a sister-in-law, of course they will choose their brother. It was a no brainer.

Though she had come to the same conclusion years ago, it didn't mean it hurt any less.

A lone tear fell on Niranjan's hand, one capable to burn his soul.

Not thinking whether it will be welcomed or not , he embraced her in his arms.