Chapter 18

" Yes, Papa..."

" No, Princess..."

" Yes...."

"No..."

A sudden knock on the door interrupted the father daughter's morning banter.

" Bade Papa...."

Gauravi rushed towards Niranjan who hoisted her in his arms with a smile.

" Kya horaha hain....Why are you pestering your Papa early in the morning ?"

" I am not.  I was only asking him politely but he is being stubborn" she complained

" Acchaa...How dare he?"

He acted as if glaring at Ansh then turned  towards  Gauravi and asked matter of factly,

"By the way, what is he being stubborn about?"

"I asked him, pyaar se, that I want ice cream for breakfast but he is saying no as Mamma won't allow".

Shaking his head, Niranjan couldn't stop himself from really glaring at Ansh. He had to give it to his brother.  He is saying no because of Nandhini not because it is bad..... had hain....Though he has become a father, his bachpana still has not gone.

"Bade Papa, I loooooovvvvveeeee chocolate ice cream....pretty pleeaaasseeee" Gauravi directed her puppy dog eyes with a cute pout onto her next victim.

But she was unaware that the person  in front has years of experience in dealing with these looks. Not only from her Papa but Chachu too.

With Niranjan she could get away with almost anything except when it comes to her heath and security. It takes precedence over everything even her wish.

But still he didn't want to disappoint her.

" Ice cream....not possible,  Bacha but your Badi Mama will make you her all time best Chocolate Pancakes" he diverted her attention .

Just like with her Papa and Chachu, it worked like a charm.

" Chocolate Pancakes...." Gauravi asked excited, ice cream long forgotten.

" Yup.... Go and ask your Badi Mamma..." Niranjan asked while nudging Gauravi along.

With a yell of pure joy , she rushed to her Badi Mamma for this new treat.

As soon as she left, Niranjan turned to his brother.

The tension in the room, palpable.

Both brothers stood facing each other with years of hurt and pain separating them.

With apprehension evident in their eyes, they stepped towards each other, gingerly.

With eyes welled up , they were not seeing each other through the sheen of tears but the last time they stood before each other.

" How could you, Bhaiya?"

" Chotu..."

Niranjan extended his hand but Ansh jerked it aside.

His eyes were blood shot, blazing with anger but the gaze directed at Niranjan  were more filled with pain and betrayal.

" She is our Nandhu,Bhaiya. She can never betray her Ansh" he lamented

Both Niranjan and Dhru were pained to see Ansh devastated. Words betrayed them as they could only keep staring at him with guilt. 

Unsaid accusations and pleas for understanding were exchanged but the pain of betrayal refused to subside.