30

"Y/n-chan~!" Oikawa called out to you after the game.

You didn't look up at him, your hands clenched into fists at your sides, your teeth clenched. You hated this feelings, having never felt it before. You keep your gaze on the ground. Your team around you felt this exact same way.

Iwaizumi hit Oikawa, causing the brunette to complain. "Not now, Oikawa. This is hard on them. This is the first time they've lost a game."

"I know, but I wanna cheer Y/n-chan up."

Yuki walked over to the boys, hearing their comments. "You can't cheer her up, Oikawa. We lost a game. She won't be playing volleyball anymore. Her uncle will make her quit, and that's that."

Oikawa looked at the ground. "I'll talk to him, then. There's no way this is going to be Y/n-chan's last game. She loves volleyball, she deserves to keep playing."

Yuki sighed. "You can't change her uncle's mind, Oikawa. His word is absolute. He'll make sure she never plays volleyball again. I just wanted to go to the inter high with her one last time, before we graduate. I can't believe Niiyama pulled ahead of us like that. We should've won."

Momo let tears roll down her face. "We should've beaten them!"

Rei looked at the ground, tears breaking free from her eyes. "If only we did something different. We would've won that match."

You remained silent, unable to look at anyone. You knew what losing meant. Your uncle burned that threat into your mind. 'I can't play volleyball anymore. This was my last match. I won't be able to stay with the team. Why? Why did Niiyama have to be so strong?! We were almost there, we were about to win! So why?!' Tears cascaded down your face. You lean up against a nearby wall, moving your hands to your face so no one can see the look you wore.

Oikawa slowly walked over, wrapping his arms around him and pulling you towards his body. "It's ok. You did your best."

That was your breaking point. "But it wasn't enough!"

The whole team looked at you, all of their eyes were wide. You've never burst out with emotion. You always kept it to yourself. This was a first for them to see. They can hear how sad you were, they could tell from your trembling that you were crying. They all felt the weight of their lost, all of them crying harder.

Oikawa stroked your hair. "It's ok. You can't always win them all. I know that all too well."

Your voice as barely above a whisper. "My uncle won't let me play volleyball anymore. This is the end for me."

"It's not, and I'll make sure of it. I'm talking to your uncle about letting you continue to play." The setter was determined.

As if all this talk of him summoned him, your uncle showed up, walking towards you all. "Y/n. I see you've lost."

Oikawa let you go, moving over to talk with your uncle. "Can we talk, sir?"

"Fine. Just don't waste my time, Oikawa." Your uncle coldly replied.

The two males walk off, your eyes on them.

"Toru..."

Iwaizumi sighed, rubbing your back comfortingly. "Don't worry, he'll be fine. Let's get you all ready to leave."

Once in a private area, your uncle turned to face the brunette. "What do you want?"

"Keep letting Y/n-chan play volleyball. She loves it more than anything! It'll break her if she'll have to quit. Don't take this away from her."

Your uncle glared at the boy. "She lost. That's it. Volleyball will not be her entire life. She already has you. Don't try to give her everything she wants."

Oikawa glared. "You have no right to tell her what she can and can't do. She's her own person, she has every right to choose her own path. She's continuing with volleyball and dating me, no matter what you say. I'll make sure of it! I'm not giving up on Y/n-chan, no matter what!"

The older man chuckles, facial features softening. "Fine, then. She can continue. I never thought I'd live to see the day where Y/n finds someone willing to stand up to me. I can tell you're a good guy. Take care of my niece. Be there for her when she reaches a low point, help her get back up. Dry her tears when she cries. And always have open arms for her. I'll let her do whatever she wants. I've never seen her put so much effort into anything. And whenever you two looked at each other, I see her happy in a way I've never seen before. Tell her she can do what she wants, and that she'll be allowed back home no matter what. I'll see you again, Oikawa Toru." And he walks off, leaving Oikawa there by himself.

Oikawa's eyes were wide. He never expected that he could change you uncle's mind so easily. He smiled, heading back over to where you are.

You look up when your boyfriend walks into the room. "Toru."

He smiles warmly at you. "I've got good news for you, Y/n-chan." He walks over to you, leaning in close to whisper in your ear. "Your uncle wants me to pass on a message for you. You're free to do what you want. He won't stop you, nor will he kick you out."

Your eyes widen, looking to meet his chocolatey eyes. "Really?"

"Of course. I'd never lie to you."

You hug the boy, squeezing slightly. "Thank you so much, Toru. I love you so much."

A sweet smile spread on Oikawa's lips. "I love you too, Y/n-chan."

***

And so, you played volleyball even after graduating high school. Once you two graduated, Oikawa proposed to you. About a year or two later, you two had gotten married. Your uncle paid for the entire wedding. The members of both the boys' and girls' volleyball teams at Aoba Johsai attended the wedding. All of your friends were so happy, but not as happy as you and the groom.

Oikawa grinned at you. "I've set my heart to you, countless times. Will you now set me your heart, and be mine forever?"