She what?

"Are you breaking up with me?" I asked, still incredulous, my eyes about to pop out of their sockets.

"I'm sorry, Haerin," she replied to my question. "I think it's for the best."

"The best?" I laughed bitterly. "The best for whom, Eunchae?" She couldn't be doing this to me.

"For you!" she replied. "For me!"

"No!" I huffed, adjusting my hair. "You can't do this to me..." I shook my head. "Eunchae, the end-of-year dance is so close..." I approached her and caressed her cheek. "And you and I have to go together," I softened my tone, "...like the beautiful couple we are." I took her hands and placed them on my waist, then placed mine around her neck.

I fixed my gaze on her beautiful brown eyes. Eunchae was simply perfect. Expressive eyes of an incredible bright brown color, long silky black hair, snow skin with small freckles scattered on it. A commercial smile and an enviable physique.

"Don't you see it?" She stepped back, removing her hands from mine. "You only care about what others think..." She looked at me seriously. "You only care about popularity..." She ran her hand through her hair. "I want more than that, Haerin." She approached again. "I want something deeper than superficiality and sex." She caressed my cheek. "You're amazing," she smiled at me, "but this isn't good for us..." She kissed my forehead, then turned to walk to her car.

"She broke up with me?" I still couldn't believe it. "She can't dare to do that! I'm Kang Haerin!" I screamed furiously in my mind as I stood on the sidewalk outside my house.

I entered the house still in shock.

"This can't end like this!" I shouted angrily.

"What's wrong? What's wrong?" my mother asked worriedly as she came downstairs.

"Eunchae broke up with me," I covered my face in despair.

"Oh dear..." she sighed. "Too bad, I liked her," she said without even stopping.

My girlfriend broke up with me, and she said, 'Too bad, I liked her.' She couldn't be colder, just because it's summer.

"Yeah... too bad," I said, about to go up the stairs.

"Oh Haerin, she's not the only one, find someone else," see what I mean by 'cold' "Why don't you call some friends and spend the afternoon with them?"

"That would be great," 'If I had any,' I finished the sentence mockingly in my mind.

Let's just say making 'friends' is not my strong suit. Why bother? You don't need them at all when you have all the girls at your feet and the gorgeous captain of the football team in your hands. Well, the team captain not so much in my hands anymore. But she'll be back soon enough.

I went up to my room and threw my bag on one of the pink armchairs decorating the room. I left my shoes in the middle of the path to my bed.

I picked up the cordless phone and then let myself fall onto the padded surface.

"Marsh," I affirmed upon hearing the 'Hello?' from the other end of the line.

Maybe I didn't have 'friends.' Alright, I didn't have friends. But I had Danielle Marsh. She's been my best friend forever.

"Kang," she answered using the same tone I had used with her.

"I need you," I told her.

"What happened?" she asked, somewhat concerned.

"Can you come over?" I replied with another question.

"Sure... I'll be there in five minutes."

I lay there for a few moments, staring at the ceiling, then I heard two knocks on the door, turned, and saw Danielle enter.

"Everything okay?" she asked as she walked towards me and plopped down on the bed next to me.

"No... nothing's okay," I replied seriously.

"Tell me," she said, laughing.

"Eunchae broke up with me," I told her, but instead of receiving 'moral support,' she just burst out laughing.

"It was about time," she continued laughing.

"What?!" I shouted, not understanding.

"Ignore me," she smiled. "Keep telling me."

"She said that I only care about what others think, and that she wants more than just superficiality and sex."

"Did she really say that?" she asked, surprised. "How does it feel, Haerin?" she laughed, and I struggled to understand her question. "How does it feel for someone not to want to have sex with you?"

"You're a jerk, Danielle," I said annoyed. "I called you to support me or make me feel better, and all you do is mock me." I sat on the bed, turning my back to her.

"Haerin, what do you want me to say? Do you want me to say she's an idiot? Do you want me to punch her because she just told you the truth?" She stood up, and I just stayed there with my arms crossed and eyes closed. "Haerin, you're only upset because she broke up with you... because absolutely no one had broken up with the 'great and popular Kang Haerin' before."

"Dani...".

She interrupted.

"You're my friend, and I love you, that's why I'm telling you," she approached me and hugged me. "The pretty face and good body won't last forever," she whispered in my ear, kissed my cheek, and walked towards the door.

"Thanks, idiot... you've been a huge help," I shouted with obvious sarcasm.

"I love you too," I heard her from the hallway, and I couldn't help but laugh.

I spent the whole afternoon and night thinking about what the idiot Danielle had told me. She was probably right, it was probably just a whim. It was the first time a girl had left me. Normally, I got bored of them and discarded them like used tissues. Plus, it was true, a pretty face and good body don't last forever.

But I'll make the most of it while it lasts.