Dresses

"Danielle took my car," I informed her. "Can you give me a ride?" I asked, smiling.

"I guess there's no other choice," she grumbled and started walking. I closed my locker and followed her until I caught up.

"Haerin..." Hanni spoke as she walked towards us, and I gave her a hard smile without stopping. "Have you seen Danielle?" she asked timidly.

"Parking lot," I replied, not paying much attention.

"So, you don't have friends?" she asked as we walked towards her car in the parking lot.

"I don't need them," I replied confidently.

"It seems Danielle is the only one who has 'access' to you, right?"

"Yeah," I replied and laughed. "And since when are you interested in knowing about me?"

"Just curiosity. The way you treated that girl confirms you're the most conceited person I know," she laughed.

"Look who's talking, you're the most conceited person I know..." I said but regretted it. "No... Garam is," I laughed. "You're the most unfriendly and bitter person I know," I smiled hypocritically. "Why didn't you let me talk to your brothers?" I asked as we were in the car.

"I don't want them to associate with you," she replied coldly. "So, don't get too close to them," she said as she started parking.

We entered the house, and everything seemed calm until a brunette ran down the stairs, carrying little Sihyun on his back, and they were being chased by Jongin.

"Dan, I told you not to run on the stairs, especially if you're carrying Sihyun," he said as he approached him to take the little one in his arms.

"Look, Min!" Sihyun said excitedly, showing him a paper with a princess on one side.

"Thanks, Dan," he addressed the boy who had been scolded before.

"No problem," he smiled before leaving through the door.

"Look!" the girl repeated. "Can I go? Will you let me go? Please!" she said with a voice that, if directed at me, would have been impossible to refuse.

"Let me see, what is it?" he lowered her and took the paper to read it.

I was curious about what was causing so much excitement in the little one. I approached and read over Minji's shoulder the pink paper she held. It was a birthday party invitation.

"How lovely!" I said excitedly. "What pretty dress will you wear?" I asked, not even waiting for Minji's answer.

"Hey hey hey," Minji said, calming both of us down as Sihyun was jumping with excitement. "I haven't said yes yet," she replied seriously.

What I didn't understand was why she authorized or denied the little one's outings. What about her parents?

"Please, Min," the little one said with her beautiful brown eyes.

"Oh come on, Minji, let her go," I added, and Jongin just laughed. "Help us, Jongin," I said laughing.

"Will you give me cake?" the boy asked his sister.

"Yes," she smiled.

"Let her go, Min," he joined in after our insistent "Let her go" and puppy-eyed looks.

Minji agreed to let the little one go to her first party alone.

"What will you wear?" I asked the girl, and Minji rolled her eyes.

"She's six, Haerin, she's not as superficial as you," she said, sitting on one of the couches in the living room.

"It doesn't matter that she's six, she's a girl and all girls like to look pretty," I replied and turned my gaze back to the little one.

"I don't have pretty dresses like yours," she said, touching my dress, and I turned indignantly to Minji.

"You don't have dresses?" I asked to make sure I heard correctly, and the little one nodded

"You do have dresses, Sihyun," Minji replied. "I saw your closet recently."

"I don't have any that fit me anymore," she said, shrugging her shoulders.

"She doesn't have dresses?" I whispered, glaring at Minji. "Bring your shoes," I told the little one with a smile.

"Why?" she asked, not understanding.

"We're going shopping," I said, and a huge smile appeared on her lovely face.

"Hey hey hey," Minji stood up. "Just us two," I pointed at her. "And I don't care if you don't want to." Sihyun ran up the stairs. "She's a child, Minji, and she doesn't have dresses," I complained.

"She does have them," she replied. I just didn't know she liked them so much."

"You knew you had a SIS-TER?" I emphasized each syllable. "Do you notice the change in the last syllable? SIS-TER," I repeated. "No, not brother, it's SIS-TER."

"Yeah, I get it now," she said annoyed.

"It's incredible, Minji," I continued, still indignant, while Jongin laughed and went upstairs.

"I don't need you to take her, I'll take her, she's my SIS-TER, my responsibility," which wasn't her responsibility, it was her parents'. Whom I haven't met yet.

"What?" I laughed. "Do you want Sihyun to come back with bags full of leather jackets and black sneakers?" I raised one of my thin eyebrows. "I don't think so."

"I thought I made it clear. I don't want you in my life, let alone theirs," referring to her brothers.

"Too late," I said, walking towards the stairs as Sihyun came down them.

I would exchange that denim short and light blue blouse for a beautiful dress.

"Ready?" I asked her with a smile.

"Yes!" she said excitedly.

"Give me your keys," I said, more like ordered, and she laughed.

"Are you crazy?"

"No," I smiled hypocritically. "Give me the keys," I repeated, but she didn't move at all.

"I won't give you anything," she crossed her arms. "Either I take them... or you don't go."

"Sihyun..." I called out with a tender voice. "Wait for me in the car, okay?" I told her, and she nodded before going out the door to her sister's car. "Are you sure you won't give them to me?" I approached slowly towards her.

"Don't you hear me?" she asked rudely as I kept getting closer to her.

"I heard you," I affirmed. "But I know you'll change your mind," I smiled showing my teeth.

"You don't know anything..." she didn't finish the sentence as I took her by the back of her neck, pulling her firmly towards my lips, and our lips began to mix. But in a matter of seconds, she pulled away.

"What?" she let out a bitter laugh. "Do you think you can get what you want with a kiss?"

"I don't know," I smiled as I moved closer to her neck. "You tell me," I said as I started placing small kisses on the moles scattered on that area of her skin.

"You're pathetic," she laughed. "You know?..." I didn't let her finish as I had already taken the keys from her pocket.

She stood still as I walked away from her practically running.

"How did you do that?" I didn't reach the door as she had grabbed my arm, blocking my escape.

"I'm smarter than you think," I gave her a fleeting kiss on her lips, making her frown, freed myself from her grip, and ran as fast as my heels allowed me.