Kim Garam

I woke up. I struggled to get up and headed to the bathroom to turn on the shower.

In a matter of seconds, the water reached the perfect temperature. I dropped my clothes on the floor and stepped in, letting the water and soap wash away any traces of sweat.

After a few minutes, I stepped out and wrapped myself in a white towel. I picked out a pink outfit, a top paired with a jacket and a skirt that fell just above my knees.

Today, more than ever, I had to look put together. Eunchae and I had broken up, so there couldn't be any trace of weakness. On the contrary, I had to show that everything was still more than perfect.

I left my hair loose, allowing slight waves to form. I put on light makeup, lined my eyes with black eyeliner, applied mascara, and just a touch of lip gloss on my thick, well-defined lips.

I grabbed my bag, which had some books since most of them were in my locker. I went downstairs. My mother was in the living room. The coffee table, as usual, was full of papers, her laptop, and her three cell phones. Undoubtedly, a busy woman.

"I'm leaving," I announced before stepping out.

"Take care," she replied.

It had been two months since I had driven myself. Eunchae always used to pick me up and drive me to school, and we would return together, and she would take care of anything I needed.

I arrived at the campus and parked my car. I liked being a little late, capturing everyone's attention. Obviously, it wasn't hard to do.

As I stepped out, all eyes were on me. The guys' looks were disdainful, unlike the women's, which only indicated desire.

But this time, everyone was whispering among themselves. It was probably because of Eunchae's absence by my side, hugging my waist and carrying my bag.

I ignored it and kept walking slowly, swaying my hips gently to a unique rhythm. "Damn it," I thought annoyed, "Where the hell is Danielle?" I couldn't see her anywhere, and I really needed her.

I reached my locker, took out my phone, and started typing a message to Danielle.

"Why so rushed?" a mocking voice almost made my phone slip from my hands.

"Where were you?" I replied, agitated.

"At home?" she answered, puzzled.

"Don't leave me alone," I said seriously.

"You know, Haerin, you need more friends," she teased.

"You know 'Haerin and friends' don't go together in the same sentence unless there's a 'doesn't need' in between," we started walking towards the classroom.

Classes went by quickly due to my eagerness for the break and to make Eunchae regret leaving me.

Finally, the loud bell freed us from algebra class. I waited for Danielle.

Now accompanied by her, we walked towards the cafeteria. I adjusted my hair before entering, and I heard Danielle laugh.

"See what I mean... she's totally right, girl," I glared at her and pushed open the cafeteria doors to enter.

"Bye, beautiful..."

"Adios, lovely..."

Such compliments, along with slight whistles and snapped kisses, were heard as I walked through the tables. They had already found out, as when I was with Eunchae, nobody dared to say a word.

How I loved this attention. Everyone from jocks to misfits and even girls turned to look at me. Except for one person...

"Where the hell is Eunchae?" I whispered, audible only to Danielle and me.