Episode 52

"Adie, are you finished?" I asked her while tying my hair into a ponytail.

"In a minute!" she called back from her room, which made me let out a soft giggle. She never fails to respond whenever I ask her something. Such a clever girl, isn't she? After spending my holidays, it's time to head back to Oxford, as usual. I swiftly put my watch on my wrist before checking my appearance in the mirror.

Jennifer's outfit :

As usual, I'm wearing a white shirt, a sweater coat, and jeans

As usual, I'm wearing a white shirt, a sweater coat, and jeans. It's not because I lack a sense of style, but because I don't have the time. I never get the chance to put on makeup or try on girly dresses. Being a 24-year-old woman who also takes care of a 5-year-old makes it understandable. Staring at my reflection in the mirror, I let out a huge sigh and mumbled to myself.

"Let's do this, Jennifer," I said, encouraging myself before my gaze fell on the necklace around my neck. As I softly held the necklace between my fingers, a small smile appeared on my face, warmth filling my heart. The necklace was a gift from Sister August, who has been like a mother to me. Lost in memories, I was snapped back to reality when Adie ran into my room, holding a comb and a hair tie.

"Jennie, can you help me tie my hair?" she asked, pausing beside me and looking up.

As soon as I heard her voice, I snapped out of my thoughts and looked down at her.

"Sure, sweetie," I replied with a small smile, gently taking the comb and hair tie from her hand. "So, what kind of hairstyle do you want to try?" I asked, kneeling to be at her level.

She paused, thinking thoughtfully about her hairstyle before answering. "I want it tied like yours," she said with a wide smile, letting out a small giggle, which made me giggle too.

I started brushing her hair with the comb and tied her long hair into a ponytail just like mine. After I finished, I gently guided her to the mirror to see herself.

"Do you like it?" I asked, holding her shoulders from behind.

"I like it," she answered with a small nod.

"Alright then," I said, standing up straight and picking up my bag from the bed. "Let's go." I extended my hand to Adie, and we both swiftly stepped out of my room. Before we fully left the apartment, I made sure to fill the food and water bowls for our little kitty, Coco.

"Bye, Coco," Adie said with a small wave before we both stepped out of the apartment and locked up. As soon as we were outside, I unlocked the car and got inside to start the engine while Adie stood by the staircase.

I tried to start the engine, but it wouldn't turn over. "What's wrong with this thing?" I mumbled to myself, trying again, but it still didn't start. After the fifth attempt, I realized the engine was completely dead. "Come on... not on a Monday," I winced, gripping the steering wheel in frustration. Then, I stepped out of the car and walked back toward Adie.