Episode 54

"Morning, Alison," the math professor greeted me as I walked toward my lecture room, carrying my teaching materials and a box of painting tools.

"Good morning," I replied politely with a small smile. I quickly made my way to the lecture room, opened the door, and stepped inside, where I was greeted by a room full of students. As soon as they saw me with the large box in my hands, a few students hurried over to help me carry it.

"Thank you," I said, giving them a small pat on the shoulder as they placed the box on the table.

"Good morning, everyone," I greeted the students filling the lecture room.

"Good morning, Professor Alison," they responded in unison.

"Great! Today, we are going to dive into the world of blue ink painting," I announced as I started to set up the projector. "This medium, while seemingly simple, offers a depth of expression and complexity that is both challenging and rewarding," I continued. Then, I clicked the remote, and the screen displayed historical blue ink artworks.

"Blue ink has been used in art for centuries, dating back to ancient Egypt and China. The richness of the blue pigment was highly valued, often derived from lapis lazuli or other minerals. Let's explore some historical contexts," I said, pointing toward the projector. Then, I clicked again, and the slide changed to an ancient Chinese scroll.

"In traditional Chinese painting, blue ink was often used in landscapes to convey tranquility and depth. Notice how the varying shades of blue create a sense of distance and atmosphere," I added, then switched to a Renaissance painting. "During the Renaissance, blue ink was less common but still utilized for sketches and preliminary designs. Artists like Leonardo da Vinci used blue ink for its precision and clarity." I turned toward the students before changing the slide to ensure they understood. Then, I clicked the remote again, displaying a modern abstract blue ink painting.

"In contemporary art, blue ink has taken on new dimensions. Abstract artists use it to explore emotions, movement, and the interaction of color and space. This piece by Yves Klein, for instance, demonstrates how a single color can evoke a powerful emotional response," I explained, showing Yves Klein's painting.

The Painting : Yves Klein (1928- 1962)

Then, I walked over to a table with brushes and ink laid out

"Let's do a demonstration. I'll show you how to create a gradient effect with blue ink. Watch how the ink spreads and interacts with the paper," I said, dipping a brush into a pot of blue ink and beginning to paint on a large sheet of paper while narrating my process. "Notice the pressure I'm applying to the brush. A lighter touch produces a thinner line, while more pressure creates a broader stroke. As the ink dries, we can layer more ink on top to deepen the color." I continued brushing. After I finished, I paused to let the students observe.

"Okay," I said, putting the brush and ink pot back on the table and clapping my hands. "Now it's your turn. I want each of you to create a small piece using blue ink. Focus on controlling the flow and exploring the contrast between the ink and the paper. Remember, there's no right or wrong way to do this-it's about finding your own expression through the medium," I said while cleaning my hands with a wet tissue to remove the ink. As soon as I finished speaking, all of the students began working on their pieces. As they started, I walked around the room, offering guidance and encouragement, observing their creative ideas.