Chapter 5 Arno

Something clicked on the roof making both Archer and I jump.

"Trouble's afoot," Archer murmured. "Something-"

"Rooks! To me!" a voice shouted.

I whirled towards the window. An assassin was crouched on the window ledge outside with a surprised look on their face.

"Hold where you are!" the assassin called. They dropped into the room. "You are definitely not Starrick."

A second assassin swung into the room.

"No we certainly aren't. I'm Arno," I said. "And this is Archer."

The first assassin pulled their hood down. I was only slightly surprised to see that they were a girl. "I am Evie Frye," she said. "This is my idiot brother, Jacob."

Archer smiled. "It is an honor to meet you."

I gave him a reproving glance. "Really, Archer?"

Archer slapped his forehead. "Sorry. I really need to remember that we aren't in France anymore."

"We didn't think there were any assassins left," Jacob said. He looked us up and down. "Much less blue and... gray ones."

"The blue was my choice. You would be surprised how well it works," I said.

Jacob glanced out the window. "I'll be going now." He jumped out the window.

Evie glanced out the window and rolled her eyes. "He doesn't realize that he can't stop every brawl in London."

Archer got a faraway look in his eyes. The anchor pendent around his neck glowed softly.

Evie looked at me. "Is he okay?"

I nodded. "He's just listening to another assassin. Most likely James or Edward."

Evie looked confused but didn't ask what I was talking about.

"There's an assassin in Nassau," Archer said. "He is asking about other assassins. We'll need to find Edward."

I nodded. "He should be in Florence with Giovanni." I reached with my mind out to the anchor pendent around my neck. Kenway?

Very slowly I felt Kenway's mind. Arno? Is something wrong?

There is an assassin in Nassau trying to find us. Where are you?

Kenway was silent for a time. I'm going to save Frederico, Guinovhicci, and Giovanni in the morning.

What?! I wondered what had happened.

Kenway clearly know me well enough to know what I was thinking. Guards happened. They discovered that Giovanni was an assassin. He gave his gear to Ezio... I'm going to need to train him.

We'll help. You know that, I smiled. He will have you travel on the fly.

Good point, Kenway huffed. This is going to be a long night. Ezio is sleeping.

I'll get us there before daybreak.

I turned to Evie. "I wish we could stay," I said. "But we need to go."

"Where?" Evie asked, tipping her head to one side.

"Florence. We'll come again... sometime."

Evie nodded. "I understand. May good fortune smile upon you."

"And you," Archer said. He glanced at me. "Will I fly? Or will you?"

"I will," I said, climbing onto the window ledge.

Archer followed me up to the roof. I felt myself grow rapidly until I was a dragon. I spread my wings before I realized Archer had to get on. I stopped until I felt Archer land on my back. I twisted into the sky.

Archer whooped. "This never gets old!"