Chapter 25 Arno

Aveline wasn't using me for support as much as I thought she should have been. She did have a sword cut her leg. I didn't say anything though. Up ahead Connor and Altaïr where standing in the middle of a mini battlefield. There were eight Templars laying dead on the ground.

   "Oh man!" Archer said. "Looks like I missed out on all the fun!"

   "It really wasn't that exciting," Connor said. "I don't know how many cups survived that."

   "All of them," Altaïr's horse trotted out of the trees. "I'm with Archer. I missed out on some fun."

   "Blade," Altaïr said. "You're impossible."

   "I know."

   Connor looked at us. "What happened to you four?"

   "I had a surprise visit," Edward said. He glanced at me. "Two of them."

   "Who was this first surprise 'visiter'?" Connor looked down at the Templar that lay at his feet. "Was it this guy?"

   "No, it was Haytham."

   Connor looked extremely surprised. "Haytham? Visiting you?"

   "Yes," Edward frowned. "You did a pretty good job of getting rid of his help."

   "Help?" Connor looked down again. "Father's a Templar?"

   Nobody answered that question. It was pretty obvious. Connor grit his teeth. "I'll kill him," he said angrily. "I'll kill him and anyone who helps him."

   "Shouldn't we go back to the Homestead?"Altaïr asked. "Ezio will be wondering where we all disappeared to."

   I started to contact Ezio with the anchor before I remembered what Edward had told me. Shay had taken Adé's anchor for himself. I instantly pulled back. But, Aveline had said something to Edward using the anchor. Did she know what had happened? If she did, did she speak a different language? I glanced down at Aveline, who now had Connor on her other side. Savez-vous ce qui est arrivé à Adé? Do you know what happened to Adé?

   Bien sûr, Aveline said. Edward était pas très heureux quand il m'a dit.
   Of course,                         Edward wasn't very happy when he told me.

   I shouldn't have been surprised that Aveline could speak French. After all, her last name was "de Grandpré", French for "of Grandpré". I was surprised when she told me that she had spoken French to Edward, and he had understood her. How many languages can he speak? I wondered. Italian, English, Spanish, the tongue of the assassins, and now French. I sighed. I would probably never know everything about Edward.

   Ezio was waiting for us with a sour expression. "That green assassin is inside," he said. "She interrupted my peace and quiet."

   "Shadiya?" Altaïr asked. "And since when do you care about peace and quiet?"

   Archer took a deep breath. "I don't think I'm going to laugh this time," he assured Altaïr. "I'll just stay outside."

   "No," Edward said. "You need to come in with us. We have some plotting to do."

   Archer sighed then grinned. "So much for not laughing."

   Altaïr groaned and everyone laughed.