Chapter 20 Arno

I crouched next to Archer behind a short wall. Shay stood not far away. He was spinning around, looking for Archer.

   Archer, are you okay? Edward asked.

   Yeah, Archer was clearly shaken. I'm fine.

   "COME OUT!" Shay howled. "I'll kill every assassin that came here with you!"

   Archer shivered. "I don't know what happened to him," he whispered. "He's changed since I last saw him. He used to do anything the assassins needed him too. But now..."

   I put a hand on Archer's shoulder as Shay walked away. I didn't tell him it would be alright. We both knew that was a lie. Shay jumped down off of the roof across from us.

   Where are you? Altaïr asked.

   Close to the church, I said. On the rooftops.

   Two white figures appeared a couple roofs away and started moving cautiously towards us. I guessed they were Altaïr and Ezio. Sure enough, as they came closer, my guess was confirmed.

   "Altaïr. Ezio," Archer hissed. He stood slowly. "I think we should get out of here. If Connor can walk, that is."

   Ezio tensed. "What's wrong with Connor?"

   "You felt that flicker? In the back of your mind?" I asked. Ezio nodded. "That was Connor's anchor, warning us that he was dying."

   "Shay was trying to strangle him," Archer said. "He came very close. Kenway saved him."

   "Let's go find them then," Altaïr said.

   We found Edward with his arm around Connor's shoulders. They were moving slowly. It looked like something had happened to Edward as well as Connor. I didn't ask, though. Edward was usually edgy when he was in pain.

   Aveline was walking next to Connor. A wildfire danced in her eyes. "-kill him," she was telling Connor. "I'll kill him myself if he ever comes close enough."

   "That's good," Connor said wearily.

   "Are you alright?" Ezio asked.

   Connor raised an eyebrow at him. "I almost got strangled and one of my friends almost got killed. How do you think I feel?"

   We didn't say anything more, as we made our way back to the gates. Edward led us to someplace he had never told me existed. He and Connor called it "Homestead". It was a small village with a large white house in the center. Edward pushed the door open and led us inside.

   "ADÉ!" Edward called.

   Adéwalé came down the stairs. He was wearing assassin robes. They suited him pretty well. "What do you-" he stopped when he saw Connor. "Put him in front of the fire."

   Edward set Connor in one of the chairs by the fire before sitting with his back against a wall. The room was pretty crowded, with me, Archer, and Ezio sitting on the couch, Aveline and Edward on the floor, and Altaïr in the second chair.

   Adéwalé left us alone after giving us all some food.

   There was a quiet rapping on the door.

   "I'll get it," Edward said. He stood and disappeared down the hallway. A moment later, he came back with an annoyed look on his face. He was followed by the green assassin, Shadiya.

   Altaïr glanced at Archer in annoyance as he started snickering. Shadiya smiled. "What's so funny?"

   "Nothing," Archer said, trying to keep a straight face. "Inside joke."

   "Care to explain?" Aveline asked.

   "Nope."

   I smiled. I knew what Archer thought was so funny. I found it amusing too. Listening in on conversations aren't that hard. Especially when another assassin is talking to someone that I've met before.