Chapter 16 Altaïr

A small group of assassins stood in the middle of the trail. It took me a moment to realize that it was Edward, Archer, and Arno. Arno was pacing back and forth between Archer and Edward. I frowned. Archer was standing still, he wasn't moving. Edward was leaning against a wall. What happened to them? I wondered.

   Archer looked in our direction and seemed to look directly at me. We ran into some trouble. That's what happened. It sounded like Archer.

   The anchor pendant glowed. I looked down at it. I can't explain what I did right then. I almost reached toward Archer. What kind of trouble did you run face first into?

   I heard Archer's laugh from where I was. Arno shot him a questioning look and Archer shook his head. I smiled slightly. An assassin that I've only seen once before. She jumped on top of Edward and threw a knife into my shoulder.

   Is it that one? I looked up at a rooftop a short distance away. I didn't know what I had seen or what I was looking for. But on the exact rooftop that I looked at there was an assassin wearing dark green robes. 

   Archer gave me a strange look and looked in the direction I indicated. Yes, that one. How...

   I ran up a wall and climbed up the building. I was going to go around the other side of the assassin and come up behind them. I moved as swiftly and quietly as I could. When I stood on the roof that was just behind the assassin. I jumped carefully across landing softly.

   "Peace and safety," I said quietly.

   The assassin jumped and whipped around. They took a couple of steps back. "Who are you?"

   "I won't hurt you," I held out my hands.

   The assassin hesitated before taking my hands. "At peace," they said.

   "I'm Altaïr," I said. I looked at them carefully. A girl, blue eyes, thin lips, a name flitted through my mind and I chased it. "Shadiya," I murmured.

   The assassin lets go of my hands and looked at me carefully. "What did you say?"

   I frowned. "Shadiya. Why?"

   The assassin took several more steps back. "That's my name. How did you know that?"

   "I-" I stopped. "I don't know. I was just looking at you and it came into my head. I don't know how I did it."

   Shadiya looked at me carefully. "You have a rare gift Altaïr," she said.

   "I've been told that before but I don't think they meant being able to tell someone's name."

   "No," Shadiya looked thoughtful. "How old are you?"

   "Excuse me? What does that have to do with anything?"

   "Just tell me."

   "Twenty-five."

   "Aaaahh," she said as if that explained everything. "You are much wiser than your years allow."

   I frowned. "That doesn't make any sense."

   "It will," Shadiya touched my shoulder and looked directly into my eyes. "Trust me. It will." She smiled and ran off across the rooftops. I stared after her. I felt something strange inside my head. I didn't know what it was.

   Found your lady Altaïr? Archer asked teasingly.

   Shut up.

   Archer's laugh echoed in my mind as I made my way back to the others.