Chapter 21 Altaïr

I can't believe Archer still thinks this is funny! I thought in annoyance as Shadiya sat down not far from me. Archer's eyes were glowing with amusement. I pointedly ignored both him and Shadiya.

   Everyone was silent for a long time. Finally, Edward said, "Is anyone else exausted?"

   I looked around at everyone. Everyone but Connor said yes.

   Aveline looked at Connor. "Connor? Did you hear Edward's question?" she stopped, then suddenly started laughing.

   Ezio looked at her quizzically, then looked at Connor. He was sleeping. I smiled. "Someone's going to need to take him to a bed."

   "I see that," Edward smiled slightly. "I'll do it."

   Adéwalé showed us to our rooms. They were all upstairs. I needed to share a room with Ezio and Arno because there weren't enough rooms for all of us to have our own.

   I could hear Edward and Adéwalé talking as I lay in my bed, but I couldn't make out what they were saying. I fell asleep not long after. I was exhausted, it had taken Ezio and I a long time to find Arno and Archer, and we had been at a dead run the whole time.

   "Altaïr," someone was poking me. "Wake up."

   I opened my eyes to see Ezio standing above me. He looked worried. "Are you alright? It's almost noon."

   I squinted at the window where the sun hung high in the sky. "I guess I was much more tired than I thought I was," I said, rubbing my eyes.

   Ezio smiled. "Edward wanted to let you sleep, but I was getting worried."

   I smiled. "Thanks for waking me up. I wouldn't want to sleep all day!"

   "You hungry?"

   "Not-" my stomach grumbled, interrupting me. "Yes."

   We walked downstairs to find Connor spinning a cup on the table. He looked up when we entered. "Good morning," he spun the cup again and in rolled off the edge. He tried to catch it and missed. It shattered into thousands of pieces. "Drat."

   Ezio smirked. "What number cup is that?" he asked as Connor started to sweep up the chunks of glass.

   "I'd rather not say," Connor said grumpily. "Adé's going to want me to go get more once he sees how few are left."

   I glanced to the shelf that had been overflowing with cups yesterday. I smiled when I saw that only three were left. "Why exactly are you breaking all of the cups?"

   Connor huffed. "Edward doesn't want me doing anything today. I don't know why though. I feel fine!"

   I started eating the cold breakfast. I looked Connor up and down. He looked fine, other than he had a huge bruise around his neck. I wondered why Edward didn't want Connor to go anywhere. Maybe he was worried that Connor would find more trouble if he went somewhere. I didn't care though.

   "Where did Edward go? Do you know?" I asked. 

   Connor thought for a moment, absently reaching for another cup. "He didn't say for sure, but I'm assuming he went to New York." He started spinning the cup on the table.

   "Should we go find him?" I threw my wood bowl onto the counter, where it spun to a clattering stop.

   Connor shot to his feet. "Yes!" The cup crashed to the floor and Connor glared at the shards. "Honestly! This doesn't happen very often."

   Ezio grinned. "Meet you outside."

   Connor grumbled something as we walked out the door. It didn't take long for Connor to join us outside. He looked at me once, his eyes held a mischievous gleam. Just as I was about to ask what he was going to do he ran for the trees. I glanced at Ezio before I ran after Connor.

   "Wait up!" Ezio called as I leaped into the treetops.

   "Hurry up then!" Connor shouted back.

   As Ezio started following us, Connor turned sharply towards New York.