Chapter 17 Ezio

Archer suddenly started laughing for no apparent reason. He wouldn't tell anyone what was so funny. All he said was, "Altaïr," which didn't satisfy any of us. Not long after that Altaïr climbed down the side of a building, interrupting Edward's account of what had happened to them. Edward didn't stop talking, though he glared fiercely at Altaïr.

   "From what Archer said, Shadiya threw a knife at him and hit his shoulder," Edward said. He was still leaning against the wall.

   It seemed that Arno was the only one who hadn't gotten hurt in any way. He didn't even have a minor scratch. "You're lucky Archer and I followed you," he said. "It's highly possible she would have killed you."

   "No," Altaïr said. "She wouldn't have."

   Archer started laughing again and Altaïr shot him a withering look.

   I cocked my head at Altaïr. "How do you know?"

   Archer hooted with laughter. Altaïr sighed. "Archer, would you shut up?"

   "I'll try. No promises, though," Archer said, still snickering.

   "I met Shadiya on a rooftop over there," Altaïr pointed. "She told me that I have a rare gift. I told her that others had told me that. She said what my gift was and then she left. She didn't seem like the kind of person who would kill other assassins."

   "Hold up," I said. "Who's Shadiya? I feel like I'm missing something important."

   Edward answered my question. "Back in Florence, while you were knocked out, Shadiya was on the roof of the warehouse. She said she wanted to join me, and refused to talk to Arno or Archer. It seems she didn't see a reason to run away from Altaïr there." Edward looked at Altaïr pointedly.

   Archer started laughing again and Altaïr stomped away.

   Aveline smirked. "Archer you've got some skill in annoying people. I'm amazed that you were able to annoy Altaïr at all!"

   I still wasn't completely sure I knew who Shadiya was. But I assumed I wouldn't be able to get any more out of them. I looked at Connor. I don't suppose you know anything about Shadiya? I asked him.

   Connor frowned. I've never heard the name before, but it sounds familiar anyway. Give me a while to think about it.

   I had taken longer than I knew Connor would have liked to teach me how to use the anchor. Connor said that I still lost focus sometimes when I was communicating and some words would get lost.

   "Let's keep going," Edward said. "We need to get to New York as soon as we can."