Chapter 11 Altaïr

"Careful out there Altaïr," Stede said. "Today there's a special event, the streets will be crowded."

   "Why do I need to be careful? I've seen crowded streets before," I said.

   "There's some people who would try to pickpocket an assassin. Don't say I didn't warn you."

   "They won't get much more than a bruised wrist. I'll be careful, though."

   I stepped onto the street and instantly decided that "crowded" was an understatement. "Packed" wasn't right either, "overflowing" was about right. Even with all of the people a gray figure drew my attention. I almost dismissed them until I realized that they were wearing gray robes. Assassin robes. T hey were watching me intently. They must have seen me looking at them because they moved into an alley.

   I followed them all the way to the beach. The assassin turned to face me. "Greetings and good fortune," he said, dipping his head. "You're new here aren't you?"

   "Yes," I was a little suspicious of their friendliness. "Are you Edward Kenway?"

   To my surprise, the assassin laughed. "Nay, but I do know him. I am Archer."

   "Do you know where he is?" I asked.

   "He is probably almost across the ocean. He will be here this afternoon at the latest," Archer looked at me quizzically. "Why do you want to see Kenway?"

   "I need Edward's help to kill Shay."

   "I see," Archer frowned and looked out on the ocean. He looked like he was listening to something that I couldn't hear. I didn't say anything, and I didn't leave. I wasn't sure if I should stay or go. After a moment, Archer reached into a pouch at his waist and pulled out a thin chain with an anchor pendant. He held it out to me. "Here," he said. "Take this and wear it. I'll let you know when Kenway is here."

   I took the anchor and put it on. Archer left me standing there alone. Nobody was on the beach, a fact that I found odd.

   "Hello Altaïr," something bumped my back.

   I turned and smiled when I saw Blade. "You still have all of the saddle bags?"

   Blade's bridle clinked as she shook her head in annoyance. "All but the one with your coins in it are still there. Someone found me and managed to take that one. Lucky man I think."

   I smiled. "That's fine, I don't need to pay for my bed here. I found someone friendly to assassins."

   "Is there space for me?"

   "I think Stede has a stable. I didn't look close."

   "Take me there," Blade pushed me towards the city. "I don't care if there isn't a stable. I will stay by you. You get in enough trouble as it is."

   "People will wonder where you came from," I objected halfheartedly. I knew she would win.

   "I don't care, you'll think of something. Let's go."

   I smiled and lead Blade to The Dusty Trinket. I was a little surprised to see Stede outside waiting for me.

   "Ah! There you are!" he said. "Where did you get the horse?"

   "I've had her for some time," I said."I had her in the woods until today. I was wondering if she could stay here."

   "Certainly," Stede said. "Follow me Altaïr."

   "I said you'd think of something," Blade snorted in my ear.

   Stede lead me and Blade to an old stable behind the inn. "We don't usually have anyone come through with horses," he explained. "All of the stalls are open. I'll see you later."

   Blade walked down the center of the barn, looking into each stall. She chose a large one against the back wall. I hung her saddle and bridle on the wall.

   Blade nudged me. "Someone is waiting for you," she said quietly. "They are in front of the inn."

   "How do you know?" I asked. 

   Blade snorted. "You find out."

   I sighed and left the barn. Stede wasn't around so I closed the door behind me. When I walked in front of the inn, it didn't look like anyone was waiting. Blade had said someone was there... hadn't she?

   Someone grabbed the back of my robes and pulled me into a side street. I twisted out of their grip and put a hand on my sword hilt. I stopped in surprise when I saw a woman who was very clearly trying to look like a man. She wore dark gold robes and black pants. She had her hair tied into a red bandanna.

   "Another assassin?" I asked. "How many assassins are in Nassau?"

   She smiled. "Dozens I'd guess. Whatever the number, add one to count yerself."

   "I'm not here to stay," I said. "I'm waiting for-"

   "Edward," the assassin finished. "Archer told me today, but Stede told me the day you arrived."

   "Why were you waiting for me?"

   The assassin grinned. "To meet you. Your horse is the first I've ever met that can speak English."

   "You met Blade then I take it?"

   "I did. By the way, the name's James Kidd."

   I raised an eyebrow. "A woman, named James? Nassau is indeed a strange place."

   She sighed. "You're much more observant than Edward. Fine, my name is Mary. Edward hasn't figured that out yet."

   I smiled. "James then. I'm Altaïr."

   "I know. Archer told me."

   "What didn't Archer tell you? Other than the fact that I never told him my name."

   "Hmmm..." Mary walked around me slowly. "He didn't say that you liked to talk in circles."

   "What?!"

   Mary shrugged. "It's true."

   I sighed. "I don't try."

   "Nobody does," she said with a shrug.

   There was a loud noise, like a large piece of fabric being unfolded.

   "Sounds like-" Mary started.

   "Kenway's here," Archer finished, dropping to the ground in front of us. I wondered how long he had been there. "Let's go meet him."