Chapter 6 Altaïr

Nassau was huge. I had expected to be done with my search before the day was out. I was wrong. When the sun had set, I hadn't even covered half of Nassau.

I walked into an inn called The Dusty Trinket. People looked at me suspiciously as I passed their tables.

"Greetings, assassin!" the innkeeper said when I sat down at the bar. "Is there anything that you need?"

"A room for the night would be nice," I said. "However, I don't have any coin." I regretted not grabbing the pouch off of Blade's saddle.

"That's fine," the innkeeper smiled and waved a hand dismissively. "Any assassin is welcome here. A lot of people disagree, of course, but assassins, especially outsiders, need a good nights rest and a hot meal."

I smiled. "Thank you, my friend."

"Oh, don't thank me," the innkeeper said. "Thank Edward. It's because of him that I stand here now!"

"Edward?" I leaned forwards. Is this the assassin I've been looking for?

"Yes. Edward Kenway, an assassin. He saved me from being stranded without a captain in Cape Bonavista."

"An assassin... and a captain?"

"Yes, and a fine man both ways."

I looked around. "Where is this room of mine?" I'll learn more in the morning.

"Down the hall to you left, seventh door."

I thanked him again and headed to my room. I sat on the bed and unbuckled my sword belt. I could sleep with it on, but didn't really want to.

The next morning I put my sword belt on before leaving the room. I sat down at the bar and asked for some food.

The innkeeper came over shortly after I finished eating. I glanced up as he approached.

"I don't believe I got your name yesterday," he said, leaning on the counter across from me.

"Altaïr," I said. "And you are?"

"Stede, Stede Bonnet," the innkeeper smiled. "I've heard of you."

I groaned. "Have you?"

"Yes, I heard that you are one of the best assassins in the world."

I relaxed. At least he hadn't heard of my... demotion. "Do you know where Edward is? You said you knew him."

Stede shook his head. "He never told me where he would go. Most likely he already knows you are here and will come as soon as he can." Something slipped out from the collar of his shirt. It looked like an anchor pendent. He quickly pushed it back before I could look closer.

"So... I wait?" I didn't like the idea but if it was what I needed to do, I didn't really have a choice.

"Yes."

I stood and went off to find something to pass the time. Maybe there was another assassin here...