Chapter 13 Connor

From my position, tied to a chair, I had a beautiful view of the harbor. It would have been better if there wasn't an angry commander, asking stupid questions, standing right in front of me.

   "How did you turn into an eagle?" the commander asked.

   I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. "I believe you've already asked that question, Commander."

   "Answer the question!"

   I sighed dramatically. "Magic."

   The commander glared at me, and I glared back. We stayed that way for a moment before the commander straightened up and stomped out of the room. I sighed and looked out the window. I loved staring at the ocean. Not so much now of course, but it was still pretty.

   A big, three-masted, ship with large red sails, slid into the harbor. The Jackdaw. Edward.

   Five figures jumped to the dock when the ship stopped.

   Connor? Archer's voice echoed in my mind.

   What? I hoped my anchor pendant wasn't glowing brightly enough for the guards to notice. It sure was nice of them to put me in front of a window. I wonder what they were thinking when they did that?

   Where the devil are you?

   I smiled. Look to your right.

   The gray figure, who I assumed was Archer, stepped away from the others. That brick building?

   Is it brick? They drugged me before bringing me here so I have no idea. If it's two levels then yes. I'm on the second one.

   Archer looked up. How?... Nevermind. Archer walked back over to the others and pointed up at me. I saw Edward shake his head. All five started towards me. I watched until they were too close to the building.

   After a moment, an assassin I didn't recognize appeared at the window. They ran their hand over it carefully before drawing a dagger. They slammed it against the window, pommel first. The window cracked, and they hit the window again. The glass fell inwards and the assassin tumbled into the room. They started cutting the rope that held me.

   "You must be Connor," the assassin said. "The whole way here Edward wouldn't stop talking about getting here and what we would do after we found you."

   I smiled. "Yes, I'm Connor. I'll take it upon myself to assume that you are Ezio."

   The assassin grinned. "I haven't met any assassin who hasn't figured out who I am."

   The rope snapped. I stretched and walked to the broken window. Ezio looked at the ground. "Where did they go?" Ezio looked around. "They were right there a moment ago." He pointed to a spot below the window.

   Where did you go? I didn't target any single anchor in the area. I wanted anyone to be able to answer.

   Ezio recoiled. "What was that? It sounded like you!"

   "It was me," I said. This time I focused on Ezio's anchor. Hello, Ezio!

   Ezio looked at me. "That's happened to me before, but I didn't think anything of it. How do you do that?"

   "I'll show you when we aren't in as much danger. Alright?"

   Ezio nodded.

   I'm assuming you mean Edward and the others, not me, a familiar voice said.

   Aveline! I smiled. I did mean Edward, but where are you?

   I think you can guess, Aveline said. I know where they are.

   "Follow me," I told Ezio. "I know someone who can help."

   I jumped onto the closest rooftop and ran across them towards the small house where Aveline always was. I heard Ezio behind me as I leaped into the haystack that has always been there. I jumped out of the haystack and knocked on the door.

   "Don't knock! Just come in!" Aveline shouted from inside. "How many times to I have to tell you that you need to stop knocking?!"

   I smiled and opened the door. Aveline sat on the padded chair in front of the fire.

   "Aveline, I want you to meet someone," I said. "This is Ezio. Ezio, this is my friend Aveline."

   Aveline smiled. "Hello, Ezio. I was sorry to hear about your family. Giovanni was an excellent assassin."

   Ezio frowned. "Everybody knows me. Why?"

   "Because of your father," I said. "Giovanni was one of the best assassins around. Every assassin you meet, not including the ones you already have, will believe you are destined for great things."

   "But the ones that I've met could care less," Ezio finished.

   "Precisely," Aveline said. "And that is why you came to me. If you'll follow me." Aveline stood and walked out the door.

   Ezio raised an eyebrow at me. "She's very down to earth."

   I sighed. "Yes, she is. It can be a tad annoying at times. We'd better follow her before she leaves us behind."