Chapter 4

"Can we go shopping?" queried Esme as they got into the car.

"Certainly Esme, but why?" replied Carlisle in confusion. They certainly did not need any food or drink.

"For the items on this list," she said quietly, holding out a well-worn scrap piece of paper with a shopping list scribbled out.

"Amelia?"

"Yes. Seeing that they won't let her out the ward to shop, I figured I'd do it for her. Carlisle, there are some basic things on here. Soap, shampoo, deodorant, heck - there's even writing paper on here."

"Which shop do you have in mind?" queried Carlisle as he turned the engine on.

"Let's head to the mall and go from there."

An hour and a half later, they emerged from the mall with half a dozen bags crammed with things. Esme could hardly wait to see the look on Amelia's face when she saw everything in the morning. Alice had phoned and instructed Esme on what exactly to get, much to Esme's horror. She had been a vampire for going on a century and had no knowledge of modern-age beauty products that humans required. Even so, Alice was different in that aspect as her tastes were geared more towards the more expensive side of things. Amelia would certainly be embarrassed by that. Bella had wrestled the phone away from Alice and guided Esme – after all, she had been human not too long ago.

After writing a short note to Amelia, and removing the price tags from the items, Esme and Carlisle returned to the hospital and went to Amelia's ward. The nurse let them in, with the promise that she would not tell Amelia who the donors were. Esme stood outside Amelia's room, listening to her worn out lungs struggle to breathe for her. Her heart too was battling. She took an unneeded breath and tiptoed in, taking in the sleeping teenager with a book still in her hand. Esme and Carlisle put down the shopping bags on the table next to her bed and Esme went to Amelia, taking the book from her hands and placing it on the other side of her bed. She then pulled the covers over her, thereby tucking her in and placed a kiss on her forehead. Carlisle took her hand and they left the hospital and drove home, both deep in thought.

---

"So how was your day, Grandma?" Renesmee's sweet little voice spoke through the phone. Esme felt the tension leave her body as she spoke to her granddaughter.

"It was great thanks, sweetheart. How was your day? What did you get up to?"

"Well, Allie wanted to go shopping but Aunty Rosie said no. So I watched a DVD instead, and then Mommy made me some toasted sandwiches for lunch, and Uncle Emmett tried to steal it from me, which was so funny because he can't eat human food. Then Mommy and Daddy took me to Grandpa Charlie's house and we saw Jake there, and Aunty Sue as well. Seth and Leah came by too, but they couldn't stay long. And then –"

Esme and Carlisle smiled as their granddaughter launched into a blow-by-blow account of her day.

"That sounds lovely, Nessie. Uncle Emmett is silly for wanting to steal your lunch."

"Uh huh, he's really funny. I miss you Grandma."

"I miss you too Nessie. Be good for me, alright?"

"Ok Grandma," yawned Nessie into the phone, "Allie wants to talk to you. So does Daddy. Bye Grandma, I love you!"

"Love you too, sweetheart. Sleep tight."

"Hi Esme! So the furniture arrived for Nessie's room today, it looks amazing!" trilled Alice into the phone.