Chapter 34

"It's time for PT, Mia," whispered Samantha, awakening the sleepy teen. Amelia started awake, coughing as quietly as she could. Samantha scooped her up in her arms and ran her to Carlisle's study where she could cough to her heart's content. Blythe strolled in afterwards and kept her friend company during the gruelling morning physiotherapy. The trio walked downstairs afterwards, and Amelia found herself engulfed in a hug, courtesy of Emmett.

"Hey big guy," she greeted, resting her head against his chest for a few moments.

"Morning lil' sis," he replied, leading her to the couch, "I made you some tea."

Amelia eyed it speculatively. "Should I be scared?" she queried, remembering only too well the one and only time Emmett had tried to make her some tea. It had tasted revolting, but she had politely drunk the entire thing and told him it was delicious. He had cheerfully left the room to bring her another cup, and the family had just about collapsed with laughter at the horrified look on her face. Fortunately, Esme had intervened and banned Emmett from making tea again.

"Nope," he replied, popping the 'p' as he spoke. Amelia sniffed it tentatively, and very delicately took a sip. "It's not poisoned, for goodness sake!" he exclaimed.

"It's actually not too bad," she said, before taking another sip, "Did Rosie make this?"

"No, I did," he insisted, before snatching the cup out of her hands and launching a tickle attack on his very ticklish little sister. The sound of Amelia squealing and giggling loudly was all Carlisle and Esme could hear over the phone. Alice had phoned them and put it on speaker, because they missed Amelia and she missed them so they were going to have a little chat. In Seattle, Carlisle and Esme smiled contently at the sound of their sickest child having a moment of carefreeness. They held each other a little closer and shared yet another brief kiss. Their daughter was special, she had become the glue that held their family together and to lose her would be something that none of them would ever get over.

"Emmett, stop!" she gasped, trying to catch her breath. Emmett immediately stopped and held Amelia upright while she coughed.

"Good morning, sweetheart," called Esme and Carlisle. Amelia blinked and looked around her. Alice handed her the phone.

"Morning Mom, Dad," she greeted, still giggling a little.

"How are you sweetheart? We miss you so much," said Esme.

"I miss you guys too, but I had a lot of fun last night. Thanks for letting the girls stay over," she replied cheerfully.

"You're welcome sweetheart. I am glad to hear that you had fun," said Carlisle.

"How are you guys enjoying your trip?" she queried, taking a sip of tea.

"It's been nice to far. Yesterday we went for a walk, today we are going to do a little shopping."

"A walk? Are you sure you just went for a walk?" said Emmett, waggling his eyebrows suggestively.

"That sounds lovely," said Amelia, cutting him off before he could say anything further. She glared at him. He smiled back proudly.

"It was, sweetheart. I wish you could be here with us," said Esme, wistfully.

"You guys needed the break," she replied, "but it's just one more sleep until I see you guys again. What time are you coming back tomorrow?"

"Probably early afternoon," replied Carlisle.

"Cool."

Just then Daniella, Amy and Narcisse walked into the lounge, wiping the sleep from their eyes. They called a greeting to Carlisle and Esme, and trudged into the kitchen for a much-needed caffeine fix.