Chapter 22

Sunday was spent at home with the family. Alice had wanted to drive Amelia to Seattle, something which Amelia could not fathom. She had everything she could ever wish for, what could Alice possibly want to get from Seattle? Carlisle and Esme backed her up, so Alice wound up not going. To appease her sister, Amelia agreed to allow Alice and Rosalie to give her a mini makeover and discuss outfits for the week ahead. Alice was being surprisingly reserved when it came to outfit selection, something which mystified everyone.

The morning passed surprisingly quickly. In the afternoon, Emmett and Jasper taught her how to play their favourite video game. Afterwards she practiced her violin some more and ate dinner. After packing her things for the following day, she sat on her balcony, looking outside the window at the falling rain and hugging a cushion to her chest. She was interrupted from her reverie by Esme climbing up the ladder and coming to sit down next to her.

"Anxious for tomorrow?" queried Esme quietly.

"Apparently I'm not doing a good enough job of hiding my thoughts from Edward," said Amelia wryly, "this totally sucks. Like nothing in my head is private anymore."

"It helps to think of something else. Sing a song in your head, translate a text into a foreign language. Alice usually translates the Battle Hymn of the Republic into some foreign sign language. Takes a while, and annoys the daylight out of Edward," said Esme with a chuckle, "Now tell your old Mum what's going on in that head of yours."

"Old? Please," snorted Amelia, "you're 26 and gorgeous."

"I stopped aging at 26, yes, but bear in mind that I have been around for almost 113 years. And have you taken a look at yourself in the mirror lately?"

"I am so pale, I could be the poster girl for a printer paper company. I made you all look like you have been at the tanning salon."

Esme laughed out loud, so did the rest of the family, who could hear every word being said. "Oi, turn up the TV, I'm trying to have a heart to heart up here. A little privacy would be nice, you lot," called Esme, shaking her head in amusement.

"Oh the joys of vampire hearing," said Amelia sarcastically, but the smile on her face showed that she was not being serious.

"So, want to talk about it?"

"Guess I'm just worried about tomorrow. New school, again. I haven't physically sat in a class since freshman year."

"Really?" said Esme, surprise colouring her tone.

"Yeah. I was in hospital for four and a half months, and that was just in New York. There's still me being stuck in hospital in Seattle for nearly two months before that. It's so strange being out of hospital. I keep thinking that it is a dream."

"I assure you, it definitely is not a dream," said Esme, reaching out and pulling Amelia into her lap.

"What if the kids tease me, or something?" asked Amelia, fear colouring her tone.

"I won't stand for bullying of any kind. If someone is mean to you, you tell one of us. We'll send the cavalry in." At this, Emmett whooped loudly.

"So many people are going to stare at me tomorrow," she sighed, and leaned her head against Esme's chest. Esme's arms automatically tightened around her, "but I guess it's just one of those things. Yay for Cystic Fibrosis."

"Keep your head up high. Be proud of your oxygen line, it shows everyone what a fighter you are."

Esme felt Amelia shake her head. Knowing that there was little she could do to cheer her youngest daughter up, she merely planted a kiss on her forehead, scooped her up and carried her down the ladder.