Chapter 31

"So tell us your story, Blythe," said Jasper, "It's not every day that we have four vampires proficient in health care under one roof."

The Cullens and their guests were sitting in the living room. Both Amelia and Renesmee had eaten dinner, and Edward and Bella had gone home with Renesmee. She'd had a late night the previous evening and was quite sleepy when she left. Amelia found herself sitting between Blythe and Samantha. Alair sat on Blythe's other side. Esme and Carlisle sat opposite them, hands entwined. Rosalie and Emmett, and Alice and Jasper occupied the couch next to Carlisle and Esme. All attention was on the beautiful tall brunette.

"I was born in 1818 in London. My father, Jonathan Casper, moved from Germany to Britain during the Industrial Revolution around 1816. He did not plan on staying long but then he fell in love with my mother, Lillian. They were the loves of each other's lives. They courted briefly and married and then had me. My father started his own business, so I didn't see an awful lot of him whilst I was growing up, but any free time that he did have, he always spent with my mother and me. There was always so much love to give in our house," Blythe spoke, her eyes staring into the distance, lost in her memories of long ago.

"I remember that the most – the love. I was their only child, and spoilt I suppose. I love them dearly and even although it has been nearly two centuries since I saw them last, I miss them every day. When I was four years old, Father received a letter from Germany informing him that his parents had passed away. He decided to return home to visit his family in Bremen. He felt that it would be better if Mother and I remained in London because it was such a long trip, but he disliked having to leave us behind," she continued, eyes bright with tears that would never fall. Amelia leaned forward and took Blythe's icy hand between her own, squeezing it gently. She smiled at her encouragingly.

"The day he left for Bremen was the last time I ever saw him."

"Oh sweetheart," exclaimed Esme, her unbeating heart breaking for Blythe. The vampire in question took an unneeded breath and gathered her thoughts.

"Mother worried dreadfully. For many months we heard nothing from him, then one day we received a letter from Father's brother informing us that Father had taken ill and had perished from his illness. Mother and I were devastated, but Mother was determined to carry on and raise me such that Father would be proud of who I became. I'd like to think he is proud of all that I have achieved."

"He definitely is," broke in Carlisle, smiling warmly at the remarkable vampire whom he had helped all those centuries ago. Blythe smiled at him before taking another deep breath and continuing.

"I did not really understand the situation at the time, I was just shy of 5 when Father passed away. As I grew older, the memories faded and life was content. Mother took over the business and the money she earned went towards my education, something which was unheard of in those days. Mother was determined that I not waste my gift – from a young age it was clear that I had a gift for healing but in a time where the public remained suspicious of witchcraft, Mother and I did not mention it to anyone. The memory of Mary Bateman, the Yorkshire Witch, was all too fresh in some of our neighbours' memories. She was hung less than a decade before I was born for sorcery, murder and fraud. Anyway, my education came at a price, and some days we did go hungry. By the age of 17, I had received the best education a woman could in the 1820's and it was always my dream to become a physician. I witnessed many of them healing my neighbours when they had ailments. However, it was more important to me that Mother and I earn money and save it so that we could eat once more so I worked at the business. I was content," she let out a deep sigh, smiling at some long lost memory.

"What happened next?" questioned Alice, curiously.

"I frequented the library, and one day I met a mysterious stranger whilst I was stocking up on some books. His demeanour was one of someone who loved books as much as I did, yet he kept his distance from all of us. Looking back, I realise how obvious it was that he was immortal. Every time I went to the library, he was there. It took me months to work up the courage to speak to him. We became good friends, I was enthralled by him, and after some time, we realised that we were in love and we courted for a little while. I realise now what a difficult decision it must have been for him, but he changed me so that we could be together. He did this when I was asleep one evening and when I awoke, I was terrified. He did his best to explain to me what he had done, but I was simply too devastated at the thought of never seeing my mother again. I had just turned 19 and I had my entire life ahead of me. I did the only thing that I could think of doing at that point. I fled. I didn't want to be a monster, but that is what he had made me become. I did not wish to live anymore. I left England 30 years later. I kept an eye on Mother, for she was now totally alone. She was devastated by my disappearance. I wish that I had been able to say goodbye to her one last time. I buried her alongside my father, and left England," she breathed out.