Chapter 24

"Who does that little punk think he is, picking on Amelia like that?" roared Carlisle. The usually serene patriarch of the family was livid. This was the angriest the family had ever seen him, not even Amelia's confession of her abusive past had rattled him as much as this did. He paced up and down the living room. Leah and Jacob had come to take Renesmee down to the reservation while the rest of the family discussed the day's events. He had received a phone call from the principal shortly after 1pm detailing the events of the cafeteria incident, with the request that he and Esme come in.

"Carlisle, calm down," began Esme, desperately trying to keep her husband from flying off the handle. Even Jasper was struggling to calm him down.

"Calm? Some senior student called my youngest daughter a pathetic drama queen, told her she looks dumb and likened her to a Star Wars character because of her illness and you want me to be calm?" he addressed Esme, angrily. He did however calm down somewhat, not wanting to snap at his wife.

"We got there as soon as we could," said Alice, "they won't go for her again, not after Emmett and Rosalie took care of them."

"What did you two do this time?" sighed Carlisle, defeated.

"Emmett informed him that Amelia was our sister and that he'd better leave her alone. Rosalie, how shall I say this, simply reinforced the message," said Edward, smirking at the memory of Rosalie lifting Smith up by his sweater single-handedly.

"I picked him up the by the front of his sweater one-handed and told him that I'd rip his head off if Amelia ever came home crying because someone teased her," broke in Rosalie nonchalantly, studying her nails as she did so.

Carlisle and Esme gaped at her. Instead of reprimanding her - under normal circumstances he usually would have - Carlisle merely responded with, "excellent."

"What did they tell you at the meeting?" queried Bella.

"We were reassured that this wouldn't happen again. We met with the boy's parents. They are disappointed in him and he has been suspended from school for two days and benched from the next few football games. He also had to apologise to us, and will be made to apologise to Amelia when he returns to school on Thursday. We will both be there when he does so," said Esme.

---

Amelia came downstairs, having woken up from her nap. After greeting everyone, she made her way into the kitchen. It was close on 4pm and she was hungry. After raiding the kitchen for some food, she made her way into the living room, sitting down next to Rosalie and Emmett.

"How are you feeling?" asked Carlisle, a lot calmer than he was earlier.

"Fine thanks," said Amelia quietly, "though I must get started on my homework soon."

"We'll let you go now, we just want to talk about what happened earlier." Amelia sighed internally and nodded.

"Don't let Smith get you down, squirt," said Emmett, giving her a hug.

"I won't," she said, although she was still quite sad about what happened. She blocked her thoughts from Edward by playing Dvořák's New World Symphony in her head. She didn't want to dwell on it.

"It was out of line of him," said Esme.

"People stared at me, he was the only one with the guts to say something," she said thoughtfully, "what he said wasn't nice, but at least someone verbalised what everyone else was thinking. What has been said and done has been said and done. It's in the past. I'm a freak, I get it. I'd like to move on from what happened. I doubt it will happen again in a hurry."