Chapter 68

"A vehicle has entered the property," announced Carlisle, cocking his head to the side. He heard Amelia's heart rate accelerate slightly. She was peering out of the front window, waiting. She squeaked in horror and hastily moved out of the room. Esme giggled at her daughter's antics. She heard Rosalie trying to calm Amelia down.

"Don't even think about it," warned Esme, glaring at her husband.

"A freak accident is just so...easy," he muttered, crossing his arms over his chest.

"I don't think uprooting a tree and having it conveniently crushing Mr Smith's car will bode well with Amelia," countered Esme, "besides, it won't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the tree is not rotten to the core."

"What about vehicular manslaughter?" joined in Emmett, already thinking of ingenious ways in which to eliminate the 'enemy'.

"Too casual," disagreed Carlisle.

"Why don't we ask Jasper to pay a visit?" suggested Emmett.

"Or hang him upside down by his toenails," muttered Rosalie, walking into the room.

"Where is my shotgun?" muttered Carlisle, striding out of the room before speeding back in with one of Jasper's rifles from his human days as a confederate soldier, "reckon this will do the trick?"

Emmett pretended to examine the shotgun carefully. "Nope. It's too, I don't know, cliché?" he mused.

"We could always feed him poison mushrooms," interjected Rosalie.

"Get him drunk and feed him a laxative?" recommended Emmett, rubbing his hands together evilly.

"No you will not!" screeched Amelia, glaring at her brother as she walked past the door, Jemima hot on her heels.

"You could be onto something here, Emmett," quipped Carlisle, seriously considering Emmett's suggestion.

"Enough!" Esme's voice was dangerously calm as she entered the room. The trio immediately fell silent, cowering under Esme's steely gaze. She took a breath and continued her tirade, "Leave him alone. Leave your sister alone. Rosalie Lillian Hale, you are the one who is the most determined that Amelia have as many human experiences as she can. Emmett McCarthy, you will shut up and make yourself scarce. You both promised to be on your best behaviour! And Carlisle Robert Cullen, don't even get me started on you! You hurt your daughter again and it will be the last thing you do! I will dismember you and burn the pieces, mark my words."

"Yes Mom," chorused Emmett and Rosalie. Carlisle nodded. The car drew slowly up the drive, coming to a halt next to the garage. The car door closed softly, and they could hear him take a deep breath before making his way to the stairs and ringing the doorbell, patiently waiting for someone to open up the door and let him inside. Jemima heard the doorbell and raced over to the front door, barking loudly.

"Rock, paper, scissors?" asked Emmett. The four of them battled it out. Emmett threw scissors, beating Rosalie's paper. Esme's rock lost to Carlisle's paper. Carlisle promptly beat Emmett and smirked in victory as he walked to the front door. Emmett, Rosalie and Esme followed him at a safe distance. They heard him picking up Jemima and opening the front door.

"Dr Cullen, good afternoon," greeted Steven, holding out his hand to shake Carlisle's.

"Welcome," Carlisle replied politely, taking in the football player standing in front of him. He was holding a bunch of pink roses and something else – whatever it was, Carlisle could not see due to the wrapping paper covering it. The human was dressed neatly, bonus points for him. He stepped aside to allow the human boy to enter the house, his nose crinkling in distaste as Steven greeted Esme politely and enquired about Amelia. He waved at Rosalie and Emmett, paling slightly.