Chapter 49

Carlisle, Esme and Blythe raced to the hospital. They arrived just as Amelia had her first seizure, a suspected grand mal. It pained Esme to witness her daughter undergo that total loss of bodily control. She was grateful that Amelia was still sedated from her incident in the bathroom earlier that day. At least she was unaware of what was happening to her. The ICU staff, together with Carlisle and Blythe, quickly brought the situation under control. They were surprisingly relaxed about a teenager helping them and quickly realised that she had more knowledge than they could ever dream of.

"I am worried about her heart," stated Ellie, after the others had left, "It has taken a bit of a beating."

"I am concerned as well, but I think it should hold up," replied Carlisle, frowning slightly. If Alice's vision held out, they only had minutes before the second seizure struck. He wondered how to get Ellie out of the room. Fortunately for him, Alair strode into the ICU and walked in with a big smile.

"Ellie, dear, I think I forgot to add something to the paperwork on Amelia's file. Walk with me?" The pair left the room, with Alair glancing back and winking at Carlisle. Alice had probably foreseen this complication and contacted Alair to act as a ruse.

"Esme, can you stand guard please?" asked Blythe, "when my gift works, my hands tend to glow and so does the part of the body where my hand touches."

"Not a problem, Blythe," said Esme, leaving the room and leaning against the glass wall casually. To any of the nurses, she appeared to be a mother distraught with her daughter's failing health and who just needed a minute to process it all.

"Blythe, are you sure you want to do this? You don't have to," stated Carlisle, feeling rather like he was abusing Blythe's gift.

"I would have found my way into this unit just like I did last time, without your help, Carlisle. I know this goes against Amelia's wishes, but not a snowball's chance in hell am I letting my best friend die tonight," Blythe replied firmly, eyes flashing as she recalled Alice's words, the look of pure horror on Edward's face as he read Alice's mind and saw what she had seen. Carlisle nodded, a look of determination crossing his features. No way was he losing his daughter tonight either, even if it meant somehow sneaking her out of the hospital and changing her.

Blythe stood still for a few seconds, listening to Amelia's body. She was more attuned to the human body than most, perhaps even Carlisle. This was largely due to her gift as an incredibly powerful healer. Admittedly, her vast medical knowledge certainly helped as well. A body spoke to her, for lack of a better term. She could pinpoint the exact problem with a patient faster than even Carlisle did, allowing her gift to guide her as she did.

"It wasn't an epileptic seizure. It was non-epileptic. It's her heart. The seizure was caused by a cardiac arrhythmia. Get her onto the appropriate medication immediately," Blythe's voice was low and urgent. She could hear Amelia's heart skipping a beat, a second, a third. It corrected itself, but Blythe knew that she had less than a minute before a second seizure gripped Amelia's body.

Blythe shut her eyes, letting her hands guide her to where Amelia's body seemed to pull them. She blocked out the obvious pulmonary call, before settling one hand on her heart, and a second over Amelia's kidneys. She focussed, envisioning that beautiful, four-chambered pump that circulated blood throughout the body, nestled safely in the thoracic cavity.

She could almost see the blood, rich in oxygen, being pushed from the pulmonary vein into the left atrium, before being pushed through the mitral valve and into the left ventricle, before passing through the aortic semilunar valve and into the aorta, where it was pumped to the rest of the body, and returning, in its deoxygenated state, via the vena cavae and entering the right atrium, before passing through the tricuspid valve and entering the right ventricle. From there, the blood entered the pulmonary trunk which travelled to the lungs, getting rid of the carbon dioxide and taking in the oxygen, before repeating the circuit.