Chapter 60

Amelia took a breath and picked up her violin. She rested her violin on her shoulder and held it in place with her chin, before pulling up the sleeves of her jersey. She took a seat on the chair that stood on the stage. All of the soloists had left. Simon remained seated and waited expectantly for his beloved prodigy to play something. Amelia picked up her bow, and began to play her composition, allowing the music to fill the hall as she brought the bow into contact with the strings. Esme smiled as the music washed over her, grateful for the umpteenth time that day that fate had brought Amelia into her life. She glanced at Carlisle, who had a serene expression gracing his face. They exchanged a smile. They glanced at Simon, who gently swayed in time to the music. A few people walked into the auditorium and sat next to or behind Simon.

"What was so important that we had to get here immediately, Simon?" asked a short blonde haired woman carrying a flute case, "I thought practice was cancelled tonight because of the youth competition tomorrow."

"I was listening to some of them earlier, there is some potential in that lot," muttered a tall dark haired man, who did not have an instrument with him. Simon pointed at Amelia and the group of musicians fell silent, listening to Amelia play.

"Shucks, she is good," breathed a red-haired woman, tilting her head thoughtfully.

"We are going to need a new adjudicator tomorrow," stated the dark-haired man. He had piercing blue eyes and had been unable to tear his eyes off Amelia.

"Why is that, Peter? You're one of the best judges we have," stated the red-haired woman.

"Look at her properly," stated Peter. Esme realised that he was the Peter to whom Simon had referred earlier. This man was Amelia's godfather, and had fought bitterly to get Amelia into his care, with no success.

"Is that who I think that is?" queried a brunette, middle-aged woman, who was also staring at Amelia. Simon and Peter exchanged sad smiles.

"She is the splitting image of her mother," stated Peter sadly.

"Ok, I'm lost. Who is she exactly? She looks familiar but I cannot for the life of me place her," stated an Asian man, tapping his fingers in time to the beat on his bassoon case.

"It's Amelia, Abigail's daughter," stated the red-haired lady.

"No!" breathed the Asian man in shock.

"Yes it is. She's Peter's goddaughter, therefore his adjudication counts as conflict of interest," said Simon.

"Sixty Five Roses is back," smiled a stunning African-American woman who had put down a clarinet case on the floor. Esme was reminded of a trip to the Mississippi many decades ago when she spoke, "does she remember us?"

"She recognised me, Ariané, but I am not sure if she will remember all of you," spoke Simon.

"Do you remember the time she was devastated because she couldn't go to a Sleeping Beauty themed party because she had a hospital appointment?" interjected the brunette.

"How could we forget, Sasha? Simon gave us half an hour to learn the Waltz suite or face certain death," stated the Asian man, chuckling at the memory.

"I wasn't that cruel, Benjamin. I gave you guys 45 minutes," said Simon sweetly, "and we put a smile on Amelia's face in the process."

"That we did," agreed Peter, observing Amelia who finished the final notes of her piece with a flourish. They burst into applause for her. Amelia smiled and took a bow.

"My money's on Amelia creaming everyone tomorrow," stated Ariané, "that girl has got some serious talent. She composed that herself, correct? Well-spotted, Si."