Chapter 53

What if?
What if I just have to co-operate here? What if I shouldn't complain? It's Effie's day after all. What if I should stop protesting and just deal with it? What if I don't really have much choice?
What if? What if? What if...
---

"Oh Katniss! You look beautiful!"

Effie says, running over to me squealing with joy. She has been like this all morning, eventually nagging me to getting my make-up done for the wedding. My calm protests didn't seem to change her mind, within minutes I was sat down and getting almost a full makeover. My hair, my face and my nails all got redone. I hate make-up, plastering chemicals on my face has never been something I've been fond of. But I came to a conclusion in my mind that I would not protest any more, after all it is her special day. She is rushing around the house in her nightgown, her make-up and hair done but only awaiting the moment before she leaves to put on the dress. The woman who is doing my make-up is one of her friends from the Capitol, constantly talking to Effie and looking away from me, almost poking me with the brush in my eye. Eventually after what feels like hours my make-up is complete. I'm surprised at the route she took in my style, nothing crazy but simple and beautiful. My eye-shadow is pretty simple, hardly noticeable thank goodness. A light blush on my cheeks and foundation layered over the scars on my face that only this harsh form of plaster can hide. My lips simply wear a soft pink gloss.

 My hair is curled even more than before yet like my make-up has been kept simple

I thank the woman and she replies with a nod before walking away and attending somebody else

I thank the woman and she replies with a nod before walking away and attending somebody else. Effie rushes over to me and says

"Perfect! Just perfect! You look absolutely amazing"

I shrug my shoulders and ask her with a laugh

"Am I free to go now?"

She laughs and nods. She then pulls me in for a hug. She says softly

"Thank you for all your co-operation and help throughout the work up to this"

I tell her

"It was no problem. I hope you have a great day Effie"