Book 4⌇3. Moonlight Escapade

Chapter 3 ∣  Moonlight Escapade

-Tamsin

"Dad?" I ask, sitting cross-legged on the dark marble floor, my father taking down a short sword from the top shelf of a cabinet, the wood members holding age unknown.

My father takes hold of the weapon, turning around and asking, "Yes, Tamsin?"

"Why is Maverick in trouble?" I'm curious. It wasn't his fault, yet he's taking the brunt of Lucca's anger. Even though he's the coven leader and King of the vampire world, he is a father as well and should treat his son much better than he does.

"Maverick stood down while the rest of you risked your lives protecting Lucette," my father states, glancing over his shoulder to see my mother, walking through the open doors of the training room. Her dirty blonde hair hangs just below her shoulder blades, tied up and ready to train with my father. After what happened tonight, I'm sure the lot of us are in for more training. I didn't expect a rogue vampire to appear, especially so close to Locaine or Erebus. Erebus is the most powerful vampire by age standards, but Locaine is the most influential.

I sigh, uncrossing my legs and stretching them out, tilting my head back and forth as my feet mimic the same motion, "We're just kids..." I grumble, turning my attention to the floor, hearing my mother's footsteps approaching.

"Correction," my mother smiles, my gaze lifting to meet hers, "you are vampire children. You age differently and despite your young appearance, you are much stronger than a normal human being. You took on your father's inherited ability, so that makes you more dangerous, Tamsin. If you don't harness it at a young age, you'll likely never have control over it."

"Is that why Maverick can't control his blood magic?" I question, placing my palms against the marble floor and standing to my feet.

My father shakes his head, "No, that is an entirely different situation. I'd be careful around him. He's unstable."

"But...WHY?" Their words are on a constant loop with no real answer to my question.

My mother looks to my father before sighing, "He has twice the power of a normal blood magic user, making him very dangerous. Because of this, it is a lot harder for him to control and needs more time and practice to master his ability."

"So..." I grumble, starting to head in the direction of the doors, confused by what they mean. Maverick wouldn't hurt anyone. He loves this coven and everyone in it...he just fights with his father, which all children do. I don't understand...

"Tamsin," my father has that warning tone underneath his words.

"I know, I know..." I turn my eyes toward my parents, smiling, "...be careful and watchful."

I turn back around, walking through the doors and sighing heavily. Lately, my training has consisted of hiding within the shadows of the coven, practicing on being neither seen, nor heard. It's such a muddled mess to try and tap into someone else's mind, reading it and taking a glimpse into their past based on whatever emotion is strongest at the time of the invasion. My father said this added ability might not show itself until I'm a bit older and able to handle the thoughts of others. After all, I must be within the shadows for the ability to work, so if I can't keep my body dematerialized, there is no way I can even practice reading a mind.

I wonder what Maverick is thinking...

My thoughts run off and as I approach the marble staircase lower landing, I exhale slowly, my eyelids closing briefly.

It doesn't take much to startle me, considering everything I'm learning, but when I feel a hand clap over my mouth, I scream, my eyelids snapping wide open.