Book 4⌇5. Emotional

Chapter 5 ∣  Emotional

-Maverick

My forearm rests against the car armrest, leaning my chin against the palm of my hand. Tapping my fingertips against the side of my face, my eyes gaze out at the flying trees around us, the speed at which we are going isn't exactly within the limit it should be. Then again, Orion and Cristela live out further from most of the other vampires, not staying within coven walls. As they were once hunters, turned, they feel they truly won't fit in.

Orion is just like my grandmother...identical even. They are hunters, born with the ability to control blood magic, eventually turned into a vampire, but the reasons behind their turning are still a mystery. Beyond that, I really don't know much about their real lives before becoming vampires, my family hides that secret well from us children.

Why are we even driving?

I've never been driven anywhere before. It isn't something vampires really do that often as if we need to get somewhere, why not just use our inhuman speed to get there? Instead, I'm sitting in awkward silence, my eyes glancing to see Orion's pitch-black hair, his dark clothes cladding his body.

Perhaps, driving is a way to hold onto what humanity he used to have before becoming a vampire? Eh, I don't see what the big deal is, why wouldn't someone want to live forever and have all the power that we do?

"Things really got out of hand again, Maverick?" Orion's voice breaks the silence. I roll my eyes and just turn my attention back to the window, seeing everything pass us by like my life seems to be doing so.

I kick the lower part of the passenger seat absentmindedly, thinking about everything my grandfather had spoken to me about Tamsin. Maybe one day I'll understand more...if I'm ever allowed to come home. Maybe Zak and Rainier are right...what if they make me stay with these two? I do like them, they are a nice break from the normal life within the coven walls.

"Maverick?" Orion asks again, this time much firmer.

"What?" I ask, keeping my eyes away from his as they search the back seat through the rear-view mirror.

Orion sighs, "You can't keep fighting with your father."

"I can't help it," my voice trails off, a moment of tears coming to my eyes. I really don't want to cause any conflict, but it appears that each time I try harder to be better, it throws me one giant step in the direction of screwing everything up, "It doesn't help I can't control my actions."

"We'll work on that," Orion states, thinking he's already fixed me. I'm not broken, I don't need fixing, I just need to be shown the right path.

"Are we there yet?" I complain, uncomfortable for sitting too long in such a small confining place, nearly out of the dense forest that had surrounded either side of the road. My answer is returned when I see the sign for Wells B.C., I must have fallen asleep way back when we had crossed into Canada.

I'm a long way from home, just how my father likes it. It's remote towns up as far north as we are, less chance of me ever hurting someone while Orion tries to reign in my abilities. We pass by several houses, people are far and few, mostly hunters by the looks of them and their penetrating white irises that gaze back at the car.

Oh...I feel so very welcome here...

"Orion..." I hesitate, watching a few of the hunters glare at me, knowing a vampire is riding within the car. Yea, they aren't allowed to kill without a just cause, but some, if not all hunters, still have resentment in their blood. One might never admit it, but it's there, I can see it as clear as the full moon hanging in the dark sky.