Book 4⌇27. This One Moment

Chapter 27 ∣  This One Moment

-Maverick

Crossing my arms in front of my chest, I grasp the hem of my dark T-shirt, stripping it over my head and tossing it onto the chair nearest the bedroom door. It is quiet, Killian and Kenzie both having to go check in with my mother. They are losing their connection and if they keep being apart for so long, even though they are getting close enough to stay within the coven, they will be lost just as much as I am.

That isn't fair to them.

Kenzie had taken Tamsin with her a week or so back when Killian had been showing me how liquid weapons could be used against me. I am not going to put myself in a situation like that, I will remain hidden and just live my life without stirring up any trouble.

A breeze caresses my exposed back, the wind from the open window rustling the curtains. The deep smell of the woods enters the room, making my body relax. In the next moment, my muscles are tense while my body spins around at the sound of something creaking on the floorboards. While my eyes shift to their black rose and my fangs elongate, I snatched both the intruder's wrists into my palms and slam them against the wall near the window.

"Tamsin?" My eyes shift back, my hold on her loosening when her blue eyes gaze up at me, the wind picking up strands of her hair and sweeping them across the front of her neck. The sweet scent of lilacs drifts from her skin, her eyes searching my face as she smiles softly. I shake my head and state, "You're too good at sneaking up on me."

She giggles, "Not good enough," her wrists slowly slide out of my hands and her arms hang at her sides. She is wearing jean shorts and a yellow and purple shirt with one side just off the shoulder. I think she knows just as well as I do, that being away is affecting her. It is one thing to keep me away from everyone, but she too, hasn't seen Rook, Arlynn, or Lucette either and it must be wearing on her to just have me only to talk to.

"I'm sorry," I sigh, figuring I probably would have killed her if I hadn't realized who she was. Tamsin makes that noise on purpose, there is no way she would have given herself away like that.

"It's okay," she replies, tilting her head to the side and stating, "no damage done."

I smile, bringing my lips down to kiss her forehead softly, but am abruptly taken aback when she raises herself on her toes, her gentle and soft lips connecting with mine. Intaking my breath sharply, I feel her fingertips trace over my abdomen.

Yes, it has crossed my mind multiple times, wanting to experience sex after the run-in with Gwyn, but I don't want to ruin the friendship I have with Tamsin. I know she's not my beloved, my grandfather said you just know...I don't want to hurt her and emotionally will last a lot longer than physical pain.

My boxers tighten and restrict me as I harden at her light touches, her arms wrapping around my lower back, feeling her nails apply just enough pressure to send a shiver down my spine.

We can't do this...

Tamsin's hands come back in front, my breathing becoming uneven when the tips of her fingers brush across the top of my pants.

But I know she wants to...

...just as much as I do.

Her warm tongue runs across my bottom lip and I feel her let out the breath she has been holding in when I cup the right side of her face with my hand. My fingers interlace into her hair as my hand slides back, hearing a soft moan escape her lips when the tips of my fangs nip at her bottom lip.

Kissing her back, I taste the inside of her mouth, her tongue instinctively dancing with mine. A groan comes from the back of my throat when her right-hand passes down over my erection, the palm of her hand rubbing me against my pants.