Book 4⌇23. Underage Clubbing

Chapter 23 ∣  Underage Clubbing

-Tamsin

"You're so slow!" I giggle quietly as Maverick attempts to keep up, his attention is distracted away though, his eyes peering off into the distance. We haven't really explored this place all too well, my parents requiring us to stay within the safe house unless we are supervised.

We aren't little kids anymore...we are teenagers...well Maverick is anyway and I will be soon enough. It has been a major change for all of us, being so far away from the coven, only getting close enough to keep our connection alive every so often.

Turning around and watching Maverick, I smile. I'm just glad Lucca or my father didn't kill him. He doesn't deserve death, he deserves to have people love and care about him. That's the way I feel about him anyways.

"Sorry, Tamsin..." His voice is quiet, his eyes shifting from the starless sky, the clouds moving in and staring down at us with anger. It will more than likely rain soon, and I'm hoping we will find cover before then.

Maverick's disposition changes, looking around us as he asks, "Where are we? This place is so familiar..."

"How could it be?" I ask with confusion but understanding as Maverick had always been taken away it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up all alone in a desolate place like this.

"I know this place, Orion took me here a while back," he stops in his tracks and breathes in deeply, his feet carrying him off to the north. Quickly changing direction, I catch up to him, narrowing my eyes as we come to the edge of a remote and rundown town.

My eyes catch sight of a weathered sign. Walking cautiously toward it, I brush the snow away from the wood, reading out loud, "Pleasant Camp? You've been out to the boonies now have you?" There is just snow and quiet out here. It is very peaceful, breathing in the deep, rich air, I sigh looking around for any sign of life.

"Yea," Maverick responds, his body on autopilot as he begins to walk toward a building.

"Maverick?" I ask, quickly walking toward the same beaten up building. Anything that had once lived here is long gone, many years ago from the looks of how badly the town is falling apart. I can tell it snows often here.

Maverick aimlessly opens back the heavy door to the building, snapping it on the hinges as the ominous creaking fills the still air. He doesn't flinch for a second, walking into the building and then breathing out slowly, "Bad things happened here, Tamsin, very bad things."

"Like what?" I ask, Maverick kneeling to the wooden floor and reaching for a handle.

Wait...handle?

Yup, he pulls back a trap door, revealing a set of metal rungs that lead down into the darkest depths of the Earth. Why would Orion even bring him here?! It's completely creepy and if he is right about bad things happening, why would he bring us here...?

His eyes lift from the overwhelming abyss and lock with mine, "Someone's here."

"What?!" I breathe in sharply, finally feeling exactly what he is.

"Orion said this used to be a refuge for hunter's, but they've all long since left this place," Maverick begins, his eyes sparking, "he said, the only reason he even brought me here a while ago, was to teach me about the past. But, if something is down there," his voice trails off, shifting his body into the hole and starting to set his boots on the rungs, "I want to find out who."

"You're going to get us killed by hunters...aren't you?" I let out an over exasperated sigh and throw my hands in the air. He doesn't listen to me, too obsessed about what is lurking in the dark.