Book 4⌇13. My Friends

Chapter 13 ∣  My Friends

-Tamsin

Yay!!

He's coming!

I run through the halls, Lucette's form coming from one of the doors as she asks, "Wh-" I cut her off, racing past her as she yells back at me, "Hey!"

"Come on, your brother is going to be here any minute!" I laugh, watching her big sage orbs widen at the thought of Maverick. It has been a very long year and I'm thoroughly ecstatic to finally see my friend once again. It wasn't fair...he was only supposed to be gone for a few weeks...which turned into an entire year.

Lucette's footfalls are behind me, my dirty blonde hair flying out in the small wind I create, skidding near the entrance. Flynn arches his brows, Arlynn standing beside her dad with the same expression.

Whatever, I'm a child still so I'm going to act like one because then I get away with things like these. So there!

I stop abruptly and feel Lucette crash into my back, throwing me off balance as we both tumble to the ground, lying in a heap of arms and legs.

"Ouch," Lucette pulls her hair out from under my arm, untangling ourselves as I hear my mother giggling, my eyes finding hers and we clamber to our feet.

"Tamsin," my father is near my mother, standing quietly as he asks, "what are you doing?"

"Running and falling...but mostly falling," I state with a straight face, Lucette laughing beside me, throwing a hand over her mouth to stifle the laughter. It is when Lucca and Evicka enter the room, that she stops, lowering her face to the ground.

"Lucette," Evicka sighs, "you're supposed to act like a lady."

Lucette whispers under her breath, "Supposed to."

"Hardly," I chime in, the two of us looking at each other and bursting into laughter.

Lucca clicks his tongue, both of us growing quiet, "The two of you are such a bad influence on each other."

My mother sighs, "Well, at least they aren't getting into too much trouble."

"That you know of," I roll my eyes and look to the ground, my shoes becoming very interesting.

Lucette holds her stomach as she doubles over with laughter, Arlynn shaking her long red curls, her bright green eyes moving from her father and then back to the two of us.

If only Maverick had been here...

...I've missed him so much.

We all became silent when the sound of a car pulling up in the driveway and the engine shutting off brings our attention to the closed front door. Doors opening and shutting, causes my heart to skip a beat, my face lightening at the thought of Maverick. Lucette is just as excited, shifting from one foot to the other as she waits somewhat patiently.

My nose turns up, smelling something familiar.

Flynn is next to the door, taking the handle into his hand and pulling it inward, revealing the pureblood prince and-

"Hunters?" I blurt out, their trademark white irises quickly looking from each of our faces, analyzing us slowly. Great, just more of what we need...are they here to watch Maverick? Like he needs more people getting under his skin.

"Bluntly..yes," Orion walks up behind the trio, motioning for them to enter the mansion. The hunters are teenagers, their striking resemblance to each other is incredible. Siblings...definitely siblings. It is unnerving when I catch a good look of their weapons, the boy's silver scythe against his back, the girl's bow, and arrows look more complex than anything I've ever seen before.