Book 4⌇30. The Hunter's Blood

Chapter 30 ∣  The Hunter's Blood

-Maverick

My heart is pounding in my chest, blood pumping at such an accelerated rate. It isn't just because of what had happened with Tamsin, but I am losing control, ready to drop out of the sky. I barely hold this type of connection for more than five minutes. Now, I am forcing myself, breaking past my limit to carry myself as far away from the people I had come to know as my second family. Again, I have disappointed these parents as well, and it is Tamsin who paid the price.

Beginning to see how staying around people is affecting them, usually them ending up taking responsibility for my actions, it probably is time to just be away...from everything I once knew and loved.

Tamsin...

That was cruel...her father forcing her to abort a life that had no say...

...I'll never forgive myself for allowing my stupidity during our moment together ruin her life. Her emotions...I can't imagine what she is feeling right now, knowing this will scar her for the rest of her life. I know Tasmin, she loves unconditional and attaches herself easily to things as she sees the good in everyone...

...even in me.

That fight though...I am still recovering from the way Killian and Kenzie had attacked me. It wasn't like anything I've ever been put through before and if Tamsin hadn't bitten her mother, I would more than likely have been killed. Their power and the way they work together is beyond my understanding.

Don't think...

...stop thinking about her!

Tamsin won't leave my thoughts, my heart skipping a beat as the pulsation between the blood magic connection and I falter. I've unintentionally...or maybe it really is subconsciously...fly near Pleasant Camp, the desolate town just coming into view. Maybe it is my inability to really focus, but I think it must be a mirage, knowing that people can't possibly be wandering around...not unless...

My vision crosses, feeling dizzy. I haven't fed in a while and after using every bit of strength I possess to heal and use my blood magic to this extent, I am fading fast. The warm, pulsating light in the center of my chest that was once a radiant fire, flickering out, coldness replacing it as my connection is severed in a split second.

"No," I breathe out just above a whisper, my muscles ceasing up, the blood beneath my feet dissolves and reverts to the liquid it once was.

Falling.

"Veronica!" Vaguely recalling the voice of Colton.

"I know, I can see for myself," she sounds slightly closer than he is, and just before I think the ground will break my fall...she does. The air leaves my lungs as the rogue assassin lunges from the air, just yards away, holding me in her arms while she lands slightly hard on the ground.

"Get him inside," Veronica orders, my slowly numbing body being transferred to a new set of arms, ones much stronger than hers.

Colton speaks, "How'd h-"

"He's like his mother...well before she lost her magic," Veronica cuts him off, the delicate jarring motion of Colton carrying me as he follows behind her. "Stop looking at him like that," her growl is filled with authority, Colton tensing as he holds me.

My eyes slowly close, any movement that is made, pushes me further into the direction of wanting to be sick.

"I'm n-"

"Don't look at him like he's a monster," she retorts, "we're all monsters in the eyes of vampire society. The last thing he needs, is to have rogue vampires regarding him the same way."