Book 4⌇38. DV8

Chapter 38 ∣  DV8

-Maverick

I never did see Tamsin again after that night.

That small part of me that hated myself for hurting her, began to fester. It was all because of my blood magic. The relationship with Lucca, the life I could have had, the people I constantly hurt, and then Tamsin...

After that night, I promised myself I'd never use the one thing that had helped destroy my life. My mother deserves this gift, not me. With it residing in me, it is a curse.

Ashamed of myself for making her believe in the me that everyone had come to see, was difficult. But she couldn't hold onto those feelings anymore, she didn't deserve to have hatred between the ones who did care for her, even if Killian was a fucking ass. He did what was right to him and I wouldn't have wanted a child of mine being with someone like me, that's just not fair to her.

She'll heal and now has something in common with everyone else.

She finally sees me for the monster I really am.

Though I visited with Gwyn and Veronica, they too moved on. The rogues she led, went with her, a new generation taking root in the underground city. Every rogue slowly learned of who I was, they were almost afraid if they ran into me, I'd kill them even though we are the same.

Fear is a good thing.

The fear others hold toward me...it is perfect.

In the five years since we ended on that note, I'd traveled around quite a bit but there was always something calling me back to Portland. I knew Rook was there and it might do some good for me to stay around there, being close to someone I know.

I heard where he lived, but I didn't dare go near it, the only worry at the back of my mind is that he might turn against me as well. Who knew, how the minds of others work and what they are thinking.

I'd run into the wolves in that area one other time, catching me off guard when they thought I was a threat to them. If they kept it up, I really would become their worst nightmare. Having spent time with other rogues, I'd come to realize that they too, had issues with wolf packs as they tried to fight for somewhere off the grid to live. One, in particular, Xena, she taught me how to create liquid wolfsbane, should I ever find myself in a situation where I need to overpower their most feared Alphas.

Thankfully, after only a second spat with Declan's pack, they'd all but ignored me. I stuck to areas where I knew they wouldn't bother me, but I had a weird feeling, that something was off. Lately, I found myself wandering down into the inner area of the city, walking the streets at night with my wits about me.

It rained often, the water bringing out the many scents at night. I'd see humans hurry about their business, killing only when I needed to. Using Gwyn's tactics to cover up my tracks and make it appear as a mugging gone wrong, I'd stayed off the grid much longer than I thought I would.

The shadows, they were my tool of escape when I thought someone was breathing down my neck. Seclusion, was one of my favorite things, let no one in and not letting them have the chance to hurt me in return.

Hurt...

...something I knew nothing of anymore.

Caring?

I hadn't felt that for a while now, killing because I can when my darker side needs to indulge.

Tonight, is somewhat different, a pull deep in my heart is aimlessly dragging me through the city streets once again. This pull is so different...