Book 4⌇18. Torn Apart

Chapter 18 ∣  Torn Apart

-Maverick

Arlynn is pinned to the ground, the blood hardening as she glares up at me, blood coming from the corners of her mouth. Even after my mother had stopped our confrontation, it doesn't stop her from doing the exact same thing the next day, challenging me while Tamsin, Rook, and I are sitting in the backyard talking.

The coven leaders who had come to celebrate my birthday yesterday, stay during the day while the sun is up. Most of them are enjoying each other's company with select members of their covens that arrived with them. It was a quiet morning until she decided to push my buttons too far.

She had walked up to me, scowling as she stated, "How about we finish what we were talking about yesterday? You still think it's just luck? Come and fight me then, see how lucky you get."

Standing up, I hardly have any time before she roundhouse kicks me in the face, her boot catching my jaw as I collapse back down to the ground.

"Arlynn! What's wrong with you?!" Rook snarls, getting ready to stand.

She holds up her hand and states, "Stop defending him. If he thinks he's so much better, then let him prove it. I'm tired of just standing around watching while he parades around like he's the top dog around here. He isn't. His father is. I only take orders from his father and he's not around."

"Stop being mean!" Tamsin stands and pushes her back. She staggers for a second and before Tamsin knows it, Arlynn backhands her across the face, knocking her to the ground as well. Shocked, she holds her cheek and tears spring to her eyes. Not necessarily because she is in pain, but to be hit for no reason by another coven member, especially one she considers a friend, breaks her heart.

We are all fighting when we shouldn't be.

I want to stand up for her, and as I rise to my feet, I bite into the flesh of my inner right wrist, throwing the blood at Arlynn and catching her off guard. She throws her hands up, but before the liquid touches her, I stop it in mid-air. Arlynn opens her eyes to see my black rose ones staring right at her.

"You'll need more than luck to stop me," I growl, "stop picking on others!" Controlling the blood, it shoots off into four separate directions, wrapping around her wrists and ankles, dragging her to the ground in a single swipe.

She screams for a moment, her back hitting the ground. Her eyes are full of not fear, but hatred. Trying to kick at me, I just compress the blood harder, cutting off her circulation and making her limbs numb.

"Stop!" Clover's white irises meet mine out of the corner of my eyes, her Oneida drawn, and an arrow aimed directly at me, "I'll shoot you dead if you hurt her anymore!"

Slowly letting go, Arlynn gets up from the ground and rushes into the mansion, my anger reaching an all-time high. It is always the hunters getting in the way and stopping me. They just continue to suppress who I am and I'm tired of it.

Without even lifting a finger, one of the blood trails morphs into an arrow and I flick it in her direction swiftly. She gasps, immediately firing her own. The arrows meet each other, mine cutting directly through hers, the two sides of the wood falling to the ground. She didn't expect this, the blood arrow striking her in the shoulder.

"Zak! Rainier!" She cries out.

"Maverick, run!" Tamsin is scared for me and Rook nods as I look toward the open door of the mansion. Running as fast as I can, I bolt through the hallway, vampires staring at me.

"Mav?" My mother breathes out, concerned as I run past her, "Mav, stop, what's going on?!"

I don't stop, but continue to run into the main entrance, two coven leaders raising their eyebrows as I come around the corner. They back away when they hear Arlynn crying to her father, my grandfather standing right next to them.