Book 4⌇17. Mav's 9th Birthday

Chapter 17 ∣  Mav's 9th Birthday

-Maverick

"Get outta here you little sneak!" My eyes peer around the corner into the kitchen and hear Killian chuckle as he suddenly pulls Tamsin out of thin air, bringing her back onto this plane of existence. I widen my eyes as she laughs hysterically as Killian cradles her in his arms and tickles her until she is close to tears.

"Oh, let her breathe," it is Kenzie that smacks Killian upside the back of his head and he lets Tamsin go. She straightens her knee-length purple dress and smooths out her dirty blonde hair, coughing as she tries to stop laughing altogether.

My mother laughs lightly, "Tamsin, you know you're not supposed to be in here."

"I know," she sticks her tongue out and shrugs her shoulders, "guess I'm getting better at this assassin stuff, aren't I dad?"

He snickers, "Not good enough."

She grumbles, "It's not my fault other assassins can see each other, even if they aren't hidden within the shadows."

"Go find Lucette, Arlynn, and Rook," my mother smiles and pats her on the head gently, "as I can see my son has already decided to sneak around himself," her whitish-blue eyes shoot in my direction and I startle so quickly I almost fall over backward.

Tamsin comes running out the door and stops next to me, whispering, "It's red colored."

I smiled, as she was checking out the cake for my ninth birthday. Turning away from me, she runs down the hallway, myself in tow as we begin our search for my little sister, my best friend, and the lone commander in training.

"I hear them!" Tamsin announces as we near the door that leads to the training room, our footfalls slowing as we near the closed door. She reaches out and takes the handle in her hand, pulling it down and back gently, the sounds of weapons clashing immediately hit us when the door is opened. We look at each other and slip inside the room, shutting the door solidly behind us.

There is a small hallway down to the four-cornered training area, Lucette sitting on a bench as she plays with something in her hands. It is Rook and Arlynn who are training. Glancing around, no one else stands in the room, just the two of them. I guess as much considering all the adults are getting the mansion ready for the party. It is nice just having us all together.

They are using short dagger swords, one takes turns defending and the other attacking. Rook strikes with an overhand swing, but Arlynn brings her blade up, deflecting the steel and blocking herself from his blow. He presses down harder and they stand locked like that for a good fifteen seconds before Rook smirks and pulls the blade down and then up, knocking her hand with the hilt of his weapon.

Arlynn's blade clatters to the ground and she leans back and away from his next strike. Though Arlynn is trained better than him, he is a pureblood and will always have an advantage with his strength and speed compared to hers...let alone his healing and dark magic.

Lucette claps when Arlynn is on the defensive, stepping away from him and edging closer to the other side of the room. She's such a silly little girl...

Nearing a low hanging metal bar used for pull-ups, Arlynn jumps, grabbing the pole and kicking her legs out, her boots contacting Rook's face. He staggers back, letting the weapon fall to the ground as he holds his broken nose in his hands.

She jumps down and kicks him in the stomach, his hands pulling away from his bloody nose and wrapping around his body. Dropping to her feet, she swipes his legs out from underneath him, knocking him flat on his back. He gasps, hitting his head on the hard marble floor, coughing for a moment when she places her boot in between his chest and neck, pinning him to the ground.