Book 4⌇33. You're Leaving?

Chapter 33 ∣  You're Leaving?

-Tamsin

"You can't be serious..." my voice trails off, Lucette and I sitting on the tree branch that we have done many times as children, her white hair resting in front of her chest. When she looks at me, she offers me a weak smile, but I know she is going to be happy to get away...

...to be with the one she is meant for.

Lucette appears thoughtful and says, "Perhaps you'll be allowed to leave too?"

"Doubt it," I sigh, my thoughts drift back to just hours ago when Rook had visited for the first time in years, the moment Lucette and he saw each other, it was like a light switch flipped on. Though we had all grown up together, it was a good six or seven years since we'd had anyone visit, the threat of rogues becoming more aggressive, unsatisfied with the treaty that was made between the vampires and hunters. That's one of the leading factors that turned a lot of vampires on their covens, disagreeing with Locaine and Orion's decision.

It doesn't matter to me, to be honest, if someone decides to attack our coven, I'll kill them in a heartbeat, no questions asked. If they truly don't like that we have peace for the first time in many years, then they can all go jump off a cliff and land in a pit of spikes.

Yes, it must have been a fascinating time when vampires enslaved humans and this entire world under their control. But really, what type of world is that? I'm glad I didn't grow up during that time, I know how controlling my own kind is, now imagine that on a mere human...

I'm not buddy-buddy with any human and I probably never will as after that treaty, Lucca never allows humans to set foot in the coven. He won't allow slaves, because everyone looks to him for influence...about the only positive impact he has made, other coven leaders following his actions. There are those, that use their right to keep slaves...

...just not killing them.

Rook and Lucette are perfect for each other, they are exactly alike in their own awkward way.

"I had another one last night," Lucette breathes out softly, her breath forming in front of her face, the cold set in for winter. Thankfully, it looks like we aren't going to get any snow anytime soon, and if Lucette really does leave with Rook back to his coven in Portland, Oregon, who knows what the weather will be like for her.

"Another what? Your visions?" I ask. It is no secret anymore, at least not between her and I. Though I remained silent after all these years, just dealing with my pain on my own, it is nice that she trusts me enough to open about her little...gift.

She nods her head, "It was Maverick..."

"What about him?" It feels like centuries since I'd last seen him, but he'd kept quiet, no news of his whereabouts reaching Lucca's ears.

At least he's doing something right...

"I don't think it was a vision...because it couldn't possibly be ever true," Lucette sighs heavily, throwing both of her low ponytails behind her shoulders, jumping off the tree branch as her white boots hit the ground.

Now I am even more curious.

"A wishful dream I take it?" I continue to sit on the branch, Lucette turning around and leaning on the bark with her forearms, "No happiness can ever be found here..."

"And humans fantasize about being a vampire," Lucette laughs, "it's not all it's cut out to be...I'd almost wish to live a simple human life..."

I push her shoulder and laugh, "No you don't! You'd never let your strength go, miss all powerful pureblood princess."