Chapter Three: The Letter

About a month and a half later…

                “So, Lily, are you excited for our final year at Hogwarts?” Alice asks eagerly.

                “Yup, I can’t wait to go to Diagon Alley!” I exclaim with a smile as we enter the kitchen.

                “Good morning,” Mum chimes. “How did you sleep, Alice?”

                “Like a baby, Mrs. Evans.” she replies with a huge grin.

                “It’s wonderful to have you here.” Mum says cheerfully. “So, you haven’t gotten your letters yet?”

                “Suppose Dumbledore got sick of our troublemaking.” Alice giggles.

                “Heaven forbid that.” I roll my eyes.

                Mum hands us each a plate of food. “Oh, don’t worry, Lil. You’ll get that letter any day now.”

                “I know.” I admit sheepishly.  “I just wish we had it now.”

                “I wish you had brooms.” Alice admits. “I’d love a game of Quidditch!”

                “How do you play that?” Mum asks curiously.

                “There’s players called Chasers, who pass a ball, called a quaffle, while trying to get it into one of three of the goal hoops. Then, there’s beaters, they carry bats and try to defend their team from the two balls, called bludgers-”

                “They’re quite vicious. They fly towards players and try to hit them. The beaters want to redirect it at the other team.” Alice interrupts quickly.

                “Erm, right. The keeper protects the hoops from quaffles. Finally, there’s the Seeker. The Seeker’s job is to capture the Golden Snitch. It’s a tiny gold ball with wings. It’s very fast. A match ends when one Seeker captures the Snitch.”

                “Wow, so all of that’s played on brooms?” Mum asks.

                “Yup.” I respond with a huge grin. I like flying, but I’ve never been good at it, mostly, because I don’t have my own broom.

                “Hey, since when have you liked Quidditch!” Alice demands.

                “I’ve always liked it, but I didn’t need Potter knowing that, did I?”

                “Ugh, you two would make the cutest cou-”

                “IF YOU FINISH THAT SENTENCE, I WILL HEX YOU INTO OBVIATION, WHEN WE RETURN TO HOGWARTS!” I yell.

                “Blimey, calm down!” Alice groans.

                Suddenly, there’s a sound like flapping wings. Two owls come flying in the open window and land on the counter. Both owls are carrying letters with the seal of Hogwarts on the back.

                I jump off my stool and start untying the letter. I look at the letter for a moment. I wait for Alice to have hers in her hands. Together, we open our letters.

                Quickly, I pull out a piece of parchment.

                Dear Miss Evans,