The New Dog

zsow2425
   "Please mom??" Begged Misti.
   "For the last time, no!!" Shouted her mother. Misti pouted and stomped out of the room. She has been begging her mom for a dog for years now. Misti finally made her way to her bedroom and plopped onto the bed. Why can't I have a dog?? Misti thought angrily, as she crosses her arms over her chest. I know I already have a cat, but a dog would keep everybody more happy and energetic.
   After an hour or two, Misti had fallen asleep, listening to all her angry thoughts swirling in her head.
                                                                            * * *
   Misti was walking home from school, still asking herself why she couldn't have a dog. She walked by a house and, as if by fate, she saw a boy sitting by his front porch with a cardboard box that said 'FREE PUPPIES' on it.
   Misti let out a little, excited squeal and ran up to the porch. The boy looked up at her. "Hello."
   "Hi!" Said Misti, reaching for a dog and holding him up. "What kind of dogs are these?" The boy glanced at Misti and the dog, then smirked.
   "He's a black lab. That's David," the boy pointed at the puppy in Misti's arms. "You like him?"
   "I love him!" Misti shouted. Then she closely looked at the puppies eyes. "Why are his eyes red?"
   "They're all born like that," the boy replied, shrugging. "I think it's just the breed of dog."
   "Okay, well thanks!" Misti waved to the boy and ran home with her new puppy.
                                                                          * * *
   "Misti!!" Her mother shouted. Misti bolted out of her room and ran to her mother.
   "What's the matter??" Misti panted, out of breath. Her body was still heavy from sleep.
   "There's a crazy rat outside in the backyard!" Misti's mother almost yelled. "Look what it did!" Her mother turned her wrist to show Misti the huge, deep gash in her arm. Blood was running down her arm. "It attacked me!"
   Misti was shocked. "I'll go check it out." She walked away from her trembling mother and opened the back door to her backyard. Misti's tiny, black puppy ran up to her and danced on his hind legs. Misti bent down, "Did you bite my mom, David?" David cocked his head to the side, as if he didn't quite hear her. "David, did you attack mom?" Misti repeated.
David must've heard her this time because right after Misti spoke, the puppy growled and bit Misti's ankle. Misti jumped back, she smacked David off her leg. "No David," she said firmly. David whimpered then shook his body, as if shaking off the pain. Then his eyes glowed an eerie red as foam oozed from his mouth. He was no longer yipping, he barked like a full grown dog. Then, as if magic, he morphed into a coyote and growled, slowly walking towards Misti.
   Frightened, Misti backed up with her hands up. "I'm really sorry David," To Misti, it sounded more like a plea than an apology. Her back hit the fence and David continued to walk closer to her by the second. Suddenly, David jumped onto Misti and clawed her face, bit her neck, and for minutes that felt like hours, he just brawled onto Misti's body. Her vision went blurry as she started to feel light headed. Misti screamed in agony as she tried to get away. Through the blood running down her face, Misti caught a few glimpses of her screaming mother running towards her and beating the dog with a metal baseball bat. She should've listened to her mom and never have gotten a puppy.