Chapter 5

Caia

That day I looked for him at lunch. Adam arrives but Liam isn't there. He didn't come the day after either. He didn't even come to school, I know because I looked for his bike in the parking lot.

On the second day after the incident with Ryan I'm standing by my locker, decorating it with some pictures and some of my drawings and sketches. They were really quick to repair it. Three days after Liam broke it, the janitor found me and told me I could use it again. I hadn't really had time to decorate yet. The first week I was still learning to find my way, and the first half of the second week I was still scared of running into Liam. In the second half I was busy helping Camille with our first assignment in math.

A body bumps into the lockers on my left.

"Hey Bambi." I pale a little when I hear his voice. But at least he didn't hide behind the locker door this time. Improvement.

I grab my things, slam the door and move to stand in the middle of the hallway. No way am I getting trapped between him and the lockers again.

He rolls his eyes dramatically but doesn't say anything otherwise.

"Aren't you gonna greet me?" he asks.

I observe him for a while before finally uttering a small "Hi." There. I greeted him. That wasn't so bad?

He rolls his eyes again. "You can relax I'm not gonna jump you." He sends me a skewed smile. "Not yet at least."

Well then, I guess I'll just lower my guard so you can jump me later, catching me unprepared. No, I don't think so beasty.

"You never told me your name, you know?" he raises a brow looking at me expectantly.

"I know."

We stand still, just looking at each other for a full minute.

"I'm not gonna leave you alone until you give it to me." He finally says and judging from his stubborn expression I don't think he's buffing.

Still I hesitate.

"It's Caia." I admit.

"Caia." He grabs his chin, rubbing it absently as he tastes my name, repeating it several times. "Last name?"

Again I hesitate.

"I'm not gonna leave." He singsongs the last word.

With a resigned sigh I tell him "Jackson. Caia Jackson."

"Caia Jackson." He tries my name. He then straighten up walk towards me. I tense, and almost take a step back but I manage to restrain myself.

He takes my right hand, enfolding it in his.

"Nice to meet you Caia Jackson. I'm Liam Paine." He shake my hand once, then lets it go and walk past me without another word, leaving me standing confused and with a racing heart.