Chapter 36

Caia

I wake up in a cold room with my hands handcuffed to what resembles a stripper pole. Weirdly enough I'm only slightly sore where however-he-was hit me and my head isn't thumping as one would expect. I've also been granted a thin mattress and a blanket to ward off the cold.

As far as kidnappings go, I always expected it to be worse than this. What kind of kidnapper gives his victim a blanket for Christ sake? Nevertheless I'm well aware that my situation is worse than bad.

How long was I out? What about my friends? Have they realized that I'm missing yet? After what happened at the party will they think I'm just hiding out, nursing a broken heart? Will Liam look for me?

Why would he, he's got Britney now, I think bitterly. Even in my current predicament I still feel a sharp pain in my chest when I think back to Liam's unfaithfulness. I should never have given him a chance. Should've just kept my distance until he grew bored and moved on.

When my eyes fill with tears I force myself to study my surroundings. The room I'm in looks like a storage room of sorts. The walls are made of cement, there's shelves filled with buckets, pieces of wood in the corner, a stack of wire and large blue barrels which might be empty.

There's only one door and as soon as I turn my gaze towards it, my kidnapper enters.

I can't believe it.

"Oh you're awake, good. I was beginning to wonder, but your pulse and blood pressure were normal so I wasn't too worried." Doctor Samuel walks over, places his medical bag on the floor and sits down with a groan.

"I should've gotten you a proper bed. Old bones like mine aren't meant to squat anymore." Opening his bag he begins rummaging through it. "Well, how are you feeling? I must admit I hadn't planned on hurting you, and you must know I'm terribly sorry for that." Finally finding what he was looking for he straighten and place pliers, antiseptics and bandaging beside the mattress. "Now let's take a look at it shall we?"

He reach for my wound but I jerk away. "Why are you doing this?"

"Well if you mean why am I looking at your wound, then it's because I see no reason why you should suffer more than absolutely necessary." He shrug. "If you're asking why I have kidnapped you, then I'm afraid the reason is a bit more selfish."

"Why?"

Again he reach for my wound, but when I also move away again he sighs and drops his hand. "Well, my dear girl, I have gotten into some trouble with a client in my... side business."

"Side business?"

"I am not on retainer for the Paines only. One of my more ominous clients had a problem I couldn't fix." He shakes his head and annoyance flash briefly in his eyes. "Really, nobody could. I was a miracle I managed to keep his son alive for as long as I did. But my client demanded some sort of retribution and to pay it I had to borrow some money from my clinic."

"You mean embezzle from it?"

"Nasty word, and no. I intent to return what I borrowed and with you I can do it so much faster. With the money I'll get for you I will be able to pay my client off that much sooner and return the money to the clinic. I'll even be able to reestablish my former wealth. You see I am also recently divorced. The old harpy took a little more than a third of my fortune. It will take me a decade to earn the money back." He sighs deeply. "I have long been planning to retire within the next couple of years. I do not want to work another decade, so I have to find alternative means."

I can't believe what I'm hearing. He has been working for criminals, he's stolen from his own business and he's too goddamn lazy to earn back what he's lost because of his own damn mistake.