Chapter V

Livia

If I knew my life would end up this way, I would have lived every moment with a smile on my face.

I didn't have much of a life, but I had a decent one. I graduated, got a scholarship, and got to live in Romania for college. It was the life I wanted, to travel the world and learn new languages.

One moment was all it took to end it all. I didn't die, but apart of me did with that life. Even if I were to be set free, what I've obtained here in this place will forever change me.

I've always cared too much, about my job, school, people... but now those things seem so far away. My connection to that world is still intact, but it's so weak I'm starting to lose hope that I'll ever see it the same way. Will my brother notice this change?

When I visit him, will he look at me and see the pain I've endured in such a short time span. This life is no life for me, but now I feel like I don't belong anywhere anymore.

I sat on Valak's bed staring at the plate of food before me. As much as I wanted to, I wouldn't touch it. By doing what he wants, I might as well be signing my oath to never leave.

It's been four days since he last visited, but I didn't mind not seeing him. I have enough to worry about, I don't need my hormones stirring up my thoughts. Only Lilith comes to serve me my three meals. She scolded me the first two days about not eating, saying her father would force feed me if he had to. Her threats were empty ones when she realized I knew he wouldn't care.

"Livia." I looked up to see Lilith looking at me with a blank expression as usual. Her voice shocked me, she's usually silent when bringing me meals. I ignored her nonetheless.

"Livia, you have to at least drink water, your body can't survive long without it."

Little does she know, I've been taking tiny sips of the glasses she brings me. Water seemed too hard to deny.

I ignored her. Lilith scuffed irritably, "You're moving into your suite today, so put these on."

A pair of jeans and a t-shirt were thrown on my lap. She turned to face the door with her arms crossed. I sighed tiredly and weakly stood from the bed to put on what I assume are her clothes.

"Let's go." When we got to the door, she paused, "Don't say a word and remain at my side for your safety. I didn't say anything, I didn't even nod.

Lilith opened the door, when we walked through the halls, a small taste of freedom made my mouth water. I wanted more.

We passed by people I assume are bloodsuckers. I avoided eye contact and kept my head down. My eyes shut for a brief moment when a scent invaded my senses. I didn't look up, I could feel his eyes boring into me.

Valak didn't say anything as we walked past his office, it seemed he had someone with him. Her voice was soft, but fierce. I still didn't look up, I'm sure she's gorgeous. I told myself I felt nothing, but the pinch in my chest told me otherwise.

Is this why I haven't seen him in four days?

I shook the thought from my head, who cares?

Lilith must've sense my unease because she offered an explanation, "She's a lycanthrope, she's only here to complete an alliance."

I didn't respond.

It took about ten minutes to get to the east wing of the castle Valak spoke of. It looked more modern than the rest of the castle, like it was newly built.

Lilith and I turned down a hallway with doors along the wall that resembled a hotel. We stop at the end of the hall, the door in front of us was a bright red instead of the black ones behind me. I appreciated the pop of color, until images of dead bodies flashed before my eyes.