Chapter IX

Valak

A loud laugh escaped my lips as Livia glared adorably at me from across my bedroom.

"This isn't funny." She snapped only making me laugh harder.

She crossed her little arms making my large shirt rise up her thighs slightly. My laughter died down as I gazed upon her exposed skin.

"You left hickeys all over my neck!"

I shook my head, "You look perfect just like that."

Pink tinted her golden cheeks. My chest swirled with pride at making her fluster with only words.

"Come to bed." I said.

Livia shifted on her feet for a moment before reluctantly making her way closer. She sat on the end farthest from me for a moment, then brought her legs under the comforter.

"C-can you leave the lamp on?" She asked shyly.

I furrowed my brows, "Of course, is it the nightmares?"

Livia didn't bother answering and instead laid her head on the pillow, her body facing away from me. I sighed, then did the same.

If she wants space, that's what she'll get. Even if it is extremely difficult not to pull her into my arms.

I listened closely to her heartbeat until it slowed signaling she's fallen asleep. I moved myself a little closer, the heat of her body being absorbed by mine. Her little snores filled the silence, I lost myself in the soft sound.

I don't need much sleep to function, but seeing as I haven't slept in three weeks, I might as well get rest now. I allowed the darkness to come over me as I too, drifted off to sleep.

. . . . . . .

"S-stop!"

I shot from my sleep at the sound. My head snapped to Livia who was whimpering and moaning. My hands worked without my consent. I had her in my arms, my instincts had me scanning her body. She appeared completely unharmed.

"Livia?" I questioned. My voice hoarse from sleep.

Her whimpers grew louder as she gripped my bicep and tugged me closer.

"V-Val.." She mumbled.

"Yes, darling it's me, open your eyes." I cooed.

As if on command, her eyes emerged from under her lids. Livia flinched within my grasp, suddeningly thrashing to be release.

"Let me go!" She screamed.

"Livia, it's me, Valak."

She stopped moving at the sound of my voice. Tears sprang from her eyes as she launched herself into my arms, her cries turning into sobs.

Is this what she goes through every night... alone?

Guilt stabbed deeply in the gut. All those nights I told myself I was too busy to visit her were excuses. I should've made time for my mate.

"Tell me what's wrong, love." I said softly. My hand began stroking her back soothingly, her sobs were getting smaller until they were mere sniffles.

"I-I..." Livia tried to speak within her sniffles.

"It's okay, you can tell me what happened."

"H-he w-was touching m-me, I-I couldn't m-move."

Guilt turned to anger at her words, "Who was touching you?" I growled.