Chapter XLIII

M A T U R E   C O N T E N T

Livia

Everything was a blur. It was hard to see where I was and where I was going; so I closed my eyes to eliminate that fear. Soon, I put my trust in my senses. I allowed my body to guide me forward. 

I wasn't overwhelmed by the crunching under my feet, or the harsh, cold air numbing my face. Even the woodsy scent added to this enthralling experience. 

It was hard to believe that I was feeling like this from the simple act of running.

Finally, I opened my eyes to see Valak at my side, just a few feet ahead. We leaped, ducked, and climbed the perimeter of the forest. It took some getting used to, but after getting the hang of it, I'd never felt so free. Running was never my thing, but now it seemed to be my element. 

I had to keep from smiling otherwise particles and such would get in my mouth. It wasn't long before my eyes were shut again to further embrace my surroundings. Just as I was about to leap over whatever unknown object was before me, a large and gripped my wrist. 

I opened my eyes just as Valak began to slow down. My body mimicked his slowing pace. We came to a careful stop, both of us breathing slightly harder than normal.

"Why did we stop?" I asked while stretching my arms.

"Follow me." 

I did as I was told and followed Valak out of the treeline. My eyes widened when we approached a cliff less than a hundred feet from where we stopped running. 

"Holy shit!" I gasped and took a quick step away from the edge only to bump into Valak's chest and lose my footing.

A high pitched squeal left my throat, but Valak's strong arm looped around my waist and quickly pulled me to him.

"Did you really think I was going to let you fall?" Valak chuckled as if this situation was amusing.

I pushed at his chest, "It's not funny, that was really scary." I began making my way back to the treeline, only to be yanked back into Valak's embrace.

"You have nothing to be afraid of, darling. I wouldn't let you fall, but even if you did, you wouldn't have died." He reassured, followed by a peck on my forehead that had me melting in his arms, "Although, it would hurt like hell." He added. 

I rested my head on his chest and let out a light laugh. His heartbeat was slightly faster than normal, but it was still steady and strong. My arms circled is torso, and we stood there just holding each other.

I pulled back, "I miss Rayna."

Valak leaned forward and pecked my lips, "Let's go see our little princess." 

"Can I koala you?" I asked innocently.

He rolled his eyes, turned away from me, and knelt down slightly, "Get on."

I'll only kneel for my queen, his thoughts warmed my chest, and I absently hummed in satisfaction.

I hopped on his back, and he piggy-backed us all the way to his newly built castle. 

● ● ●

"There she is!" 

Rayna let out a giggle at the sudden appearance of my face. I covered my face, before saying pick-a-boo a few more times; to which her startled giggles followed. 

Valak stepped out of the bathroom with a towel loosely draped around his waist, both Rayna and my attention shifted to the fine specimen for completely different reasons.