Chapter 2: Things Can't Get Worse

Things were going... decent for Ella. She has been living with Mrs. Debby for the past 5 years, and she is turning 10 tomorrow. The last few years have been rough. Either with school life or family life, it hasn't been good. Nothing has been good ever since Tuesday, November 3, 1999. It was the last day everything was right in the world. Her mother was right by her side and her father was still alive. But now, her father is at some cemetery in Maryland, and her mother, no one knows. Ever since the day she knew her mother disappeared, Ella would always go back and check in the house to see if her mother was there. She would do that every day, and still there was no sign of anyone inside the house.                Ella started to lose hope.  She used to check every day, then to just once a week, then to once a month. Then the visits stopped, but she still had the key tied around her neck.
One day she was walking home from school, well, Mrs. Debby's home. Mrs. Debby has done a great job raising Ella the last few years. But the last month, Mrs. Debby could only stay in one place, her bedroom. Yes, Mrs. Debby is ill, and it's not looking good, for her or Ella. But, that one day she got home, she wished she didn't see what she saw. Ella reaches the door-step and opens the door.
"Mrs. Debby! I am home!" Ella shouted once she walked in. Weird...no response. 
"Mrs. Debby! It's me Ella! I made something for you today at school." She shouted. In her hands, she held a paper plate with macaroni glued in a heart shaped. In the middle, she has, written in sparkly, pink glitter glue, Mrs. Debby's name. Once again... there was no response. Now Ella is worried.
"Mrs. Debby...." She walks up the stair and turns the corner. The bedroom door was open just a crack. She pushed the door open with one arm, and held her present with the other. She looks at her and drops her present. Tears were streaming down Ella's face. She ran downstairs, grabbed the phone, and dialed 9-1-1.
"9-1-1, what's your emergency?" The operator stated.
"Please help me! My guardian is not waking up!" Ella cried. She tried her best to be able to be understood.
"Ok, sweetie, we are on our way." The operator stated.
"Thank you!" Ella cried. She hung up the phone and ran back upstairs. Mrs. Debby, was lying on her bed. Her face was a purple/blue color. She was dead. Ella gets on top of the bed and holds Mrs. Debby's hand.
"Please, Mrs. Debby! Wake up! I... I can't lose you too!" Ella cried, holding on the Mrs. Debby's hand, so lifeless and frail. Moments later, the police burst into the house. They didn't need to ask where they were. All they had to do is follow the cries of a 10-year-old child. A 10-year-old child, named Ella, who has no one now. She knew what was next for her. She knew her future. Goodbye, Richland Elementary, and hello to Ms. Sally's Orphanage.
The police walked in with a stretcher. "Kid, back away from the woman." The man said, and just as she was told she backed away from her but before she left, she gave Mrs. Debby's forehead a kiss and whispered in her ear, "Bye, Mrs. Debby."
Ella goes to the other side of the room. Another police officer walked up to her.
"What's your name, sweetie?" he said.
"E-Ella." She said, still crying.
"Well, Ella, can you tell me what happened?"
She nodded.
"I got home from school and I shouted from downstairs that I am h-home. She didn't answer like she usually does. So, I called her a-again. S-She didn't answer again. I-I went upstairs and I found h-her like this." Ella stated, but barely could.
"And was she not feeling well when you left for school?" he asked.
"She hasn't been well for the last few months. But this week, s-she just kept on getting worse." Ella stated.
"Is there anyone else you can live with?" The man asked.
Ella wanted to lie. She didn't want to leave to go to an orphanage. But they would find out somehow. She had to tell the truth. What other choice did she have?
"no." Ella said, looking down at the ground.
"Well, you are going to have to come with me, Ella, and we will find you a new home." He said as he held out his hand. Ella took it, and they walked out of the room. They grabbed the few things that Ella needed and left the house.
Just as they left, Ella heard something. She turned around and saw a glimpse of something or someone. But then she saw nothing. Nothing. Just like how she is to everyone, nothing, no one, rejected. She had only a few things with her. She got her things and put them in the police car. She looked back at the house. "On to my next home." She whispered to herself.
She saw the police officers put Mrs. Debby's body into the ambulance.  She was to be buried in two days. First, they had to make sure she died of natural causes. Which she did, right? As soon as Ella thought of this, she looked out the window and back at the house again. In Mrs. Debby's old bedroom window, she saw something. Or someone. It looked like the top of someone's head. She told the police officer what she was seeing.
"Mr. Police Officer? There is something in that bedroom window up there." Ella said.
The man looks up at the window, "There is nothing there sweetie!" he said and gave a small laugh.
Ella looked back at the window. He was right. There was nothing there."Maybe I am just seeing things." Ella thought to herself as she drifted off to sleep in the backseat of the police car.