Chapter 7: Cake Malfunction

"Okay, so the first thing we need is flour." Rachel stated as Ella was putting the last bowl on the table.
    "Next we need eggs, sugar, and butter." Rachel said.
    "Okay." Ella replied as she went to the fridge to grab eggs and butter. Then she went to the pantry to grab the flour and sugar.
    "We will also need milk and..."
    "And..."
    "I don't know what this ingredient is?!?" Rachel exclaimed.
    After Ella set the rest of the ingredients on the table, she ran over to Rachel, who was holding the list of ingredients and steps.
    "What is that?" Rachel questioned
    "I think it says vanilla extract." Ella stated.
    "Do we even have that here?" Rachel asked.
    "I honestly don't know. Let's look around and see if we can find it anywhere." Ella replied.
    The two were off, looking in every drawer and cupboard. Rachel was on one side of the kitchen and Ella was on the other. They were opening every drawer and cupboard. But when Ella opened the one cupboard, she saw......
    "Hey Ella!" Owen shouted.
    Ella jumped at the surprise.
    "Owen! Don't do that! You scared me!" Ella stated.
    "Uh...Ella...who are you talking to over there?" Rachel questioned.
    "No one!" Ella responded.
    "Well, quit talking to yourself and start looking for that ingredient." Rachel commanded.
    "Oh, you mean this ingredient?" Owen said, holding up a small bottle. On the bottle there was a label that read "Vanilla Extract".
    "Yes!" Ella exclaimed as she took the bottle from Owen hand. Then She hurried back over to the table full of ingredients.
    "Rachel!" Ella yelled.
    "What?"
    "I found it!"
    "Sweet!" Rachel responded and then headed over to where Ella was standing.
    "So... we have all the stuff but... how exactly do we make this?" Rachel asked.
    "I thought you had the list of steps?" Ella questioned.
    "Well I did but it only had the first step on it which stated, 'Step 1: Gather Ingredients.'"
    "Really?" Ella responded in an irritated tone.
    "I'm sorry! I fell asleep while watching the cooking show!"
    "What are we going to do now then?" Ella asked.
    "I don't know....wait....didn't you say you used to make cooking videos when you were younger?"
    "Yeah but I was five! That's irrelevant to right now." Ella responded.
    "Well what do you think we should do, birthday girl?" Rachel asked.
    "Wing it?"
    "I guess so..." Rachel responded hesitantly.For she knew that whenever Ella was just going to "wing it", it never ended well.
    "So, first we got to throw a bunch of this stuff into a bowl." Ella stated, as the two started taking little bits of everything and threw them into the bowl.
    "Then we have to stir it." Rachel said as she grabbed the spoon and began to stir.
    "Wait we need to heat the oven! What degrees do you think we put it at?"
    "Well I don't know about you but I want this cake fast! So the higher the degrees, the faster it cooks!" Rachel insisted as she ran over to the oven and preheated it to 500 degrees.
    "I will pour the batter into the pan." Ella stated as she grabbed a rectangular pan and poured the batter in.
    "And I will place it in the oven!" Rachel exclaimed as she grabbed the pan and put it into the oven.
    "How many minutes should we put on the timer?" Ella asked.
    "Probably 10. While we are waiting, we can start cleaning up in here." Rachel responded.
    Then the two began to clean up their mess, but something happened.
    "Hey, do you smell that?"
    "Yeah. That smells like..."
    "SMOKE!" The two girls exclaimed in unison.
    Then before they knew it, the smoke alarms went off and everyone had to exit the building...well almost everyone.