Chapter 9: Poison

"Wait! You guys see him too!" Ella exclaimed. After she said that, the whole group of kids began to laugh.
"Man you really are crazy after all!" Lucas laughed.
Among the sea of child laughter, Ella heard Mr. Trevor call for her and Rachel.
"Come on, Rachel." Ella stated in a gloomy way as she grabbed Rachel's arm and pushed through the crowd.
"Ah,there you are girls. Now you two need to come with me." Mr. Trevor stated as he turned around and headed back into the building.
"Are we in trouble?" Ella asked.
"Well we have to see what the detective states about the problem." Mr. Trevor uttered.
After the long walk down the hallway, they finally reached the kitchen. The fire did a good number on the kitchen, and the the two weren't in trouble for the fire, they were definitely in trouble for the kitchen.
"Detective, this is Ella ad Rachel. They were the kids that made that cake which caused the fire." Mr. Trevor stated.
"Nice to meet you girls. After the firemen put out the fire, they couldn't seem to figure out what caused it. So the called me in to run a few tests on the cake and..." He said.
"And..." The girls stated in unison.
"Do you girls have any idea as to what you put in that cake?" The detective asked.
"Flour, eggs, butter..." Rachel began to say.
"Milk, sugar, vanilla something..." Ella concluded.
"Girls, there was a poison in that cake. We have never seen it before and how you two got your hand on it I can't even fathom. Apparently the poison was also very flammable, which caused the fire.
"But we didn't put anything in the cake. Right?" Rachel asked Ella.
"Yeah! I absolutely certain about it." Ella responded.
"Well, how exactly did that get there?" Mr. Trevor asked.
"We don't know." Rachel and Ella responded in unison. But after they did, someone decided to show up.
"Hey guys!" Owen stated as he walked in the kitchen. Ella was the only one who acknowledged his presence.
As Ella was turned around facing the door, the detective asked her, "What are you looking at, Ella?"
Soon Ella realized that she was looking at nothing, in the eyes of everyone else, and turned back around. She responded, "Nothing. I thought I heard something."
"She absolutely did, sir!" Owen stated as he walked in.
"Owen! Shut up!" Ella whisper yelled at him.
"What was that, Ella?" Mr. Trevor asked.
"Nothing!" Ella yelled back.
"Ella! There is no need to yell!" Mr. Trevor stated.
"Yeah, Ella!" Owen mocked.
Ella heard him and as she did, her hands turned into a fist.
"So, are we in any trouble?" Rachel asked the detective.
"Well, since either of you knew how this happened, I guess no one is a fault here. But I do have to run a few tests to see how this happened."
"The oven is really old. Do you think that had something to do with it?" Mr. Trevor asked.
"I highly doubt it. But, it doesn't hurt to check. Now, you girls run along while I talk with Mr. Trevor."
"Ok!" Rachel and Ella said in unison as they left the kitchen and back to their room.
"Detective, I am sorry about Ella's behavior. She is usually quite polite...." Mr. Trevor began to say but was later cut off .
"Listen, I know you're not going to like this, but someone who get's that defensive is usually hiding something."
"You mean...she had something to do with this? But where would she get it? They aren't allowed to go anywhere." Mr. Trevor questioned.
"That's what I'm trying to figure out too. Do you know if she could have found it in this kitchen?"
"I doubt that."
"The this will be one tough case to crack. I am going to run a few more tests before I go. Have the kids come back inside, and make sure the girls are back in there room."
"Ok. Thank you again!" Mr. Trevor stated as he walked out the kitchen. He then got the kids back inside. But while he was outside, he took a look at the old oak tree. He realized something.
"That tree is going to fall down soon. I need to get rid of it before someone gets hurt." He thought to himself. Mr. Trevor walked back inside and headed down the hall to Ella and Rachel's room.